Research/Science Diver

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Aquatic Eagle

Contributor
Scuba Instructor
Divemaster
Reaction score
# of dives
500 - 999
I'm curious about what kind of skills or specialties you think would make up a good general science/research diver course. I know what AAUS standards are for science divers but I wanna know what you guys think.

The thing about scientific divers is that diving isn't the purpose, it is just the transportation. Scientists will probably be diving a lot longer than the majority of new OW divers unless they make a career change. Their diving experiences will also be more diverse and more complex. They probably won't be doing simple beach dives close to the edge.

So, scientific divers should have a more complete course of instruction and, from what I have read, it is not likely that any agency will come close to what the AAUS standards require. Perhaps LA County comes close. I have read that their Advanced program is quite lengthy but I don't really know anything about it.

Thalassamania will weigh in on this and he is a big supporter of the AAUS approach. Well, it could also be because he helped found the organization. I'll be interested to see what he says.

Interesting subject!

Richard

The thing about scientific divers is that diving isn't the purpose, it is just the transportation. Scientists will probably be diving a lot longer than the majority of new OW divers unless they make a career change. Their diving experiences will also be more diverse and more complex. They probably won't be doing simple beach dives close to the edge.

So, scientific divers should have a more complete course of instruction and, from what I have read, it is not likely that any agency will come close to what the AAUS standards require. Perhaps LA County comes close. I have read that their Advanced program is quite lengthy but I don't really know anything about it.

Richard

I agree with what you have said but from what I've read of the AAUS standards, the program is not the same for everyone. Some get more training in u/w photography, some in salvage, some in underwater mapping, some in diving medicine, some in animal handling, some in collecting, etc...

Which of those advanced skills do you think would be more important to a research diver?

It depends entirely on that which the diver wishes to research, I suppose.

Way above my pay grade! I have never been in the scientific arena. About the closest I ever got is when I walked the pier at Scripps Institute and did a little skin diving at La Jolla (mid '60s).

I would expect the fundamental training to be identical but I can see where later instruction might tend to specialize. I was only talking about the basics which are detailed here: http://www.scubaboard.com/forums/ba.../270906-aaus-research-diver-requirements.html But, of the specialties you mentioned, I can see a scientific diver getting ALL of that training over time.

Richard

First you need to become a Scientific Diver-in-Training. The bolded items indicate those things that either are not covered in recreational programs or which are not, IMHO, covered in most recreational programs in a way that would enable an applicant to pass my evaluation of that item. There are issues where such as regulator in or snorkel in or out of the mouth for entries ... . I'm not interested in discussing that here ... frankly, when I'm doing the evaluation, it will be done that way I think best.

Phrases that are bolded and italicized, are my comments, and not part of any AAUS document.

4.10 Evaluation

Medical Examination

The applicant for training shall be certified by a licensed physician to be medically qualified for diving before proceeding with the training ...

Swimming Evaluation

Applicant shall successfully perform the following tests, or equivalent, in the presence of the Diving Safety Officer, or an examiner approved by the Diving Safety Officer.

1. Swim underwater without swim aids for a distance of 25 yards without surfacing.
  2. Swim 400 yards in less than 12 minutes without swim aids.
  3. Tread water for 10 minutes, or 2 minutes without the use of hands, without swim aids.
  4. Without the use of swim aids, transport another person of equal size a distance of 25 yards in the water.
4.20 Scuba Training

Practical Training

At the completion of training, the trainee must satisfy the Diving Safety Officer or the instructor of their ability to perform the following, as a minimum, in a pool or in sheltered water:

1. Enter water with full equipment.
  2. Clear face mask.
  3. Demonstrate air sharing, including both buddy breathing and the use of alternate air source, as both donor and recipient, with and without a face mask.
  4. Demonstrate ability to alternate between snorkel and scuba while kicking.
  5. Demonstrate understanding of underwater signs and signals.
  6. Demonstrate simulated in-water mouth-to-mouth resuscitation.
  7. Rescue and transport, as a diver, a passive simulated victim of an accident.
  8. Demonstrate ability to remove and replace equipment while submerged.
  9. Demonstrate watermanship ability, which is acceptable to the instructor.
Written Examination

Before completing training, the trainee must pass a written examination that demonstrates knowledge of at least the following:

1. Function, care, use, and maintenance of diving equipment.
  2. Physics and physiology of diving.
  3. Diving regulations and precautions.
  4. Near-shore currents and waves.
  5. Dangerous marine animals.
  6. Emergency procedures, including buoyant ascent and ascent by air sharing.
  7. Currently accepted decompression procedures.
  8. Demonstrate the proper use of dive tables.
  9. Underwater communications.
  10. Aspects of freshwater and altitude diving.
  11. Hazards of breath-hold diving and ascents.
  12. Planning and supervision of diving operations.
  13. Diving hazards.
  14. Cause, symptoms, treatment, and prevention of the following: near drowning, air embolism, carbon dioxide excess, squeezes, oxygen poisoning, nitrogen narcosis, exhaustion and panic, respiratory fatigue, motion sickness, decompression sickness, hypothermia, and hypoxia/anoxia.
Open Water Evaluation

The trainee must satisfy an instructor, approved by the Diving Safety Officer, of their ability to perform at least the following in open water:

1. Surface dive to a depth of 10 feet in open water without scuba.
  2. Demonstrate proficiency in air sharing as both donor and receiver.
  3. Enter and leave open water or surf, or leave and board a diving vessel, while wearing scuba gear.
  4. Kick on the surface 400 yards while wearing scuba gear, but not breathing from the scuba unit.
  5. Demonstrate judgment adequate for safe diving.
  6. Demonstrate, where appropriate, the ability to maneuver efficiently in the environment, at and below the surface.
  7. Complete a simulated emergency swimming ascent.
  8. Demonstrate clearing of mask and regulator while submerged.
  9. Demonstrate ability to achieve and maintain neutral buoyancy while submerged.
  10. Demonstrate techniques of self-rescue and buddy rescue.
  11. Navigate underwater.
  12. Plan and execute a dive.
Successfully complete 5 open water dives for a minimum total time of 3 hours, of which 1-1/2 hours cumulative bottom time must be on scuba. No more than 3 training dives shall be made in any 1 day.

The requirements listed above are the minimums needed to qualify for a "Scientific Diver-In-Training Permit" which is defined as " An individual gaining experience and training in additional diving activities under the supervision of a dive team member experienced in those activities."

As I understand it there currently does not exist a recreational course or combination of courses that exactly meets these specifications. LA County Advanced or NAUI Master Diver come about as close as you'll find, but each results in significantly more dives and water work than the AAUS specification requires.

Now ... on to Scientific Diver:

Theoretical and Practical Training

The diver must complete theoretical aspects and practical training for a minimum cumulative time of 100 hours. Theoretical aspects shall include principles and activities appropriate to the intended area of scientific study.

Required Topics (include, but not limited to):

Diving Emergency Care Training

• Cardiopulmonary Resuscitation (CPR) - "Pro" rescuer course
  • Standard or Basic First Aid - ARC or equivalent
  • Recognition of DCS and AGE - A good rescues course will cover this.
  • Accident Management - A good rescues course will cover this.
  • Field Neurological Exam - A good rescues course will cover this, or a separate course.
  • Oxygen Administration - DAN or equivalent.
Dive Rescue
Dive Physics

Dive Physiology
Dive Environments
Decompression Theory and its Application
AAUS Scientific Diving Regulations and History

• Scientific Dive Planning
  • Coordination with other Agencies
  • Appropriate Governmental Regulations
Scientific Method - this should be just a overview.
Data Gathering Techniques (Only Items specific to area of study are required)

• Transect Sampling (Quadrating)
  • Transecting
  • Mapping
  • Coring
  • Photography
  • Tagging
  • Collecting
  • Animal Handling
  • Archaeology
  • Common Biota
  • Organism Identification
  • Behavior
  • Ecology
  • Site Selection, Location, and Re-location
  • Specialized Equipment for data gathering
  • HazMat Training
  • HP Cylinders
  • Chemical Hygiene, Laboratory Safety (Use Of Chemicals)
Suggested Topics (include, but not limited to):

Specific Dive Modes (methods of gas delivery) - this should be just a overview.

• Open Circuit
  • Hooka
  • Surface Supplied diving
Small Boat Operation

Rebreathers - this should be just a overview.

• Closed
  • Semi-closed
Specialized Breathing Gas

• Nitrox - full nitrox course coverage.
  • Mixed Gas - this should be just a overview.
Specialized Environments and Conditions - this should be just a overview, except were that is the predominant local diving or when the course is aimed at preparing a diver to work in a specific environment.

• Blue Water Diving
  • Ice and Polar Diving (Cold Water Diving)
  • Zero Visibility Diving
  • Polluted Water Diving,
  • Saturation Diving
  • Decompression Diving
  • Overhead Environments
  • Aquarium Diving
  • Night Diving
  • Kelp Diving
  • Strong Current Diving (Live-boating)
  • Potential Entanglement
Specialized Diving Equipment - this should be just a overview.

• Full face mask
  • Dry Suit
  • Communications
Practical training must include a checkout dive, with evaluation of the skills listed in Section 4.20 (Open Water Evaluation), with the DSO or qualified delegate followed by at least 11 ocean or open water dives in a variety of dive sites and diving conditions, for a cumulative bottom time of 6 hours. Dives following the checkout dive must be supervised by a certified Scientific Diver with experience in the type of diving planned, with the knowledge and permission of the DSO. - So that gets the applicant to a total of at least 12 dives.

Examinations

Written examination

• General exam required for scientific diver certification.
  • Examination covering the suggested topics at the DSO's discretion.
Examination of equipment.

• Personal diving equipment
  • Task specific equipment

5.40 Depth Certifications

Depth Certifications and Progression to Next Depth Level

A certified diver diving under the auspices of the organizational member may progress to the next depth level after successfully completing the required dives for the next level. Under these circumstances the diver may exceed their depth limit. Dives shall be planned and executed under close supervision of a diver certified to this depth, with the knowledge and permission of the DSO.

Certification to 30 Foot Depth - Initial permit level, approved upon the successful completion of training listed in Section 4.00 and 5.30.

Certification to 60 Foot Depth - A diver holding a 30 foot certificate may be certified to a depth of 60 feet after successfully completing, under supervision, 12 logged training dives to depths between 31 and 60 feet, for a minimum total time of 4 hours.

Certification to 100 Foot Depth - A diver holding a 60 foot certificate may be certified to a depth of 100 feet after successfully completing, 4 dives to depths between 61 and 100 feet. The diver shall also demonstrate proficiency in the use of the appropriate Dive Tables.

Certification to 130 Foot Depth - A diver holding a 100 foot certificate may be certified to a depth of 130 feet after successfully completing, 4 dives to depths between 100 and 130 feet. The diver shall also demonstrate proficiency in the use of the appropriate Dive Tables.

Certification to 150 Foot Depth - A diver holding a 130 foot certificate may be certified to a depth of 150 feet after successfully completing, 4 dives to depths between 130 and 150 feet. The diver must also demonstrate knowledge of the special problems of deep diving, and of special safety requirements.

Certification to 190 Foot Depth - A diver holding a 150 foot certificate may be certified to a depth of 190 feet after successfully completing, 4 dives to depths between 150 and 190 feet. The diver must also demonstrate knowledge of the special problems of deep diving, and of special safety requirements.

Diving on air is not permitted beyond a depth of 190 feet.

Each institution does it in their own way. A typical program would cost between $300 and $500 dollars (but may require each candidate to purchase a lot more gear than a recreational program, e.g., we required a full set of gear less tank and regulator, buy helped students get a great deal from the LDSs on the gear) and will be run over a semester.

I teach the program privately, it takes a month of full time work, and in an optimum arrangement (e.g., four students) costs $1,500 per student (for two staff) plus course expenses which can range from almost nothing, to whatever it costs for a trip to the Red Sea and a one month charter of a live aboard.

Last edited:

Diving on air is not permitted beyond a depth of 190 feet.

I see that above you mentioned:

Mixed Gas - this should be just a overview.

Does your program permit the use of helium mixtures for the deeper certifications (say the 150 and 190)?

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom