Hollis H-160?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Rings890

Registered
Scuba Instructor
Reaction score
# of dives
My primary dive buddy & I have been looking into getting scooters. The local dive shop had brought in a few of the Hollis H-160. It looks an awful lot like the Sierra X-scooter but a bit heavier and more money. Do any of you out there have one of these H160 or tried them? They advertise a burn time of one hour at 100% speed, but our local water temp in the summer is 10C (50F) so I am thinking that it would be much less than an hour.

Any feedback would be much appreciated, thanks

After thought: we are typically wearing twin alu 80 or twin steel 108 with one or two deco bottles either 40 or 80 cu/ft.

I have dove one a couple times .My instructor has one and i have a gavin so did a couple team dives with them . I also have test dove the x- sierra.

The hollis is very fast faster than the gavin and x scooter its is bigger than the x .The speed control does not work as nice as the x scooter and has a strange function or ramping down it will keep running after you let go of the trigger . And the hollis always seems to be negative in the water as the gavin and the x is either neutral in fresh water (after some tuning with weight ) .

The burn time is advertised better than my gavin ga-26ah

For my choice for a light nickel metal scooter i would get a x-scooter there the lightest and most refined scooter out there.

If you want a long haul scooter the heavier scooters like a gavin or ss are much more comfertable for a long run times

Hi Rings,

I've been diving a Hollis scooter since I had the pleasure of testing the prototype over a year ago.

As Jean mentioned, the Hollis is much faster than the Gavin. I like the fact that instead of the latches which could get hung up on things, they've made a very slick method for removing the nose.

The unit's been getting me around an hour at full tilt and about 1.5hrs when I go between full 100% and 75%.

I haven't really done much in idle mode at 50% power, as it's about as fast as Jean's Gavin.

I've used a few scooters over the years, I'm not an expert in DPV diving, however, I've been happy with the unit.

I've had it out with double 130's, 2 80 stages, it's been flawless. I did take the trim weights out for fresh water, but I prefer having them in, so they're back in the nose again. I found it wanting to ramp nose up and I didn't like that.

I've got them in stock. Email me if you're interested.

Thanks,

Matt

if you want fast, go with a CUDA from Dive Xtras. It is the fastest scooter on the market today. IF you are already gonna go "bigger and faster", and spend more, nothing can beat the it.

if you want a light, responsive, travel scooter that will get you there at between 172 and 182fpm (I'd like to see the hollis's actual numbers, are they bringing one to the Tahoe tests this year?) and pack up under 50lbs for traveling then get a Sierra.

Dive Xtras has some great promotional deals going right now as well, I think the online store has something like 10% off if you use the "new" keycode.

There are a few peeps up in your area with them, you might ask around and see if anyone will take you for a crack ride er... I mean take you out on a scooter dive...

Back
Top Bottom