What makes a successful dive shop?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

jlbdiver

Registered
Scuba Instructor
Reaction score
# of dives
500 - 999
I'm curious what people like, or dislike, about LDS's. Why are some successful and others not? Is it equipment, location, staff, an onsite pool, low prices, what?

A PADI Platinum Course Director told me it comes down to the instructor making learning enjoyable. As an instructor I appreciate that but there seems like there has to be more.

For me, it was a combination of location, great staff, a great dive group, prices and coffee always on that sold me on my LDS. (Not necessarily in that order)

Do a search on this one,
as it has definitely been
beaten to death.

You must be able to convince a lot of new divers to buy your over-priced products.

They ones that survive around here are in high-income communities. They sell Scubapro or Aqualung gear at full list price to people who don't have to shop for price. Training, travel and service are also priced for the "premium" customer.

I love my LDS, and they survive primarily for one reason: Fantastic customer service. The owner is a diver (which I like) and he understands what divers need from a shop. He has the gases I want to dive, and a pricing package that's very attractive. He carries the brands I like. I'm sure he doesn't LIKE the fact that I buy most of my gear these days on the used market, but he's polite and friendly about it, and is perfectly willing to service the gear. He has good instructors and sells good equipment, so I feel good about referring people to the shop for classes or gear.

And, above all, he'll go out of his way for his regular customers. Today I was in the shop collecting tanks for an out of town guest, and I realized I had forgotten to borrow an argon setup for him. I now have one of the shop owner's personal argon rigs (tank and reg) for the weekend. THAT's what keeps me loyal to this shop.

Customer service and honesty is the bottom line.

Customer service and honesty is the bottom line.

You talking about an LDS or a church store? After 20 years, I'm still waiting to get both from an LDS. :blessing:

The ability to make the customer happy, the ability to make some money, and the ability to be able to change with the economic weathers.

the K

You talking about an LDS or a church store? After 20 years, I'm still waiting to get both from an LDS. :blessing:

There is a reason why my LDS has been in business for 25 years. It's not because he carries every line of popular gear or that he has the fastest turn around on gear orders. It's customer service and honesty.

Back
Top Bottom