Where to Start With Instructor Development?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Matt83

Registered
Scuba Instructor
Reaction score
# of dives
At the end of this month I will be doing a program to go from Open Water (which I am now) all the way to Master Scuba Diver Trainer. This includes Advanced, Master Scuba Diver, EFR, CFC, DAN O2, Rescue, Nitrox, Divemaster, Assistant Instructor, EFR/CFC Instructor, Open Water Instructor, Master Scuba Diver Trainer & DAN DES Instructor. I got all the materials for all of these courses today and would like to get a brief overview on what I'm in for before starting the program. My question is, what have all of you found to be the most difficult part of this type of program? What would be of beneit to look over thoroughly and what should I just skim through and not worry too much about? If there is anything you guys have struggled with please let me know so I can prepare myself beforehand a little better. Thanks for any input you guys can offer.

At the end of this month I will be doing a program to go from Open Water (which I am now) all the way to Master Scuba Diver Trainer. This includes Advanced, Master Scuba Diver, EFR, CFC, DAN O2, Rescue, Nitrox, Divemaster, Assistant Instructor, EFR/CFC Instructor, Open Water Instructor, Master Scuba Diver Trainer & DAN DES Instructor. I got all the materials for all of these courses today and would like to get a brief overview on what I'm in for before starting the program. My question is, what have all of you found to be the most difficult part of this type of program? What would be of beneit to look over thoroughly and what should I just skim through and not worry too much about? If there is anything you guys have struggled with please let me know so I can prepare myself beforehand a little better. Thanks for any input you guys can offer.

And my question to YOU would have to be "how long is this program supposed to take?"

Not to rain on your parade, but getting from OW to MSDT usually takes YEARS, not MONTHS.

My question is, what have all of you found to be the most difficult part of this type of program? What would be of beneit to look over thoroughly and what should I just skim through and not worry too much about? If there is anything you guys have struggled with please let me know so I can prepare myself beforehand a little better. Thanks for any input you guys can offer.

Credibility.

Sure you might be able to teach the courses per the agencies guidelines, but will you have the diving experience to back up what you are saying?

Just because you are an instructor doesn't mean you are a good diver.

I first learned to dive 20 years ago and was immediately hooked. As soon as I finished one class, I immediatelt signed up for the next one, and any weekend i was not in class I was diving. I was an OWSI just over 1 year after my OW cert date. As soon as I started teaching, and had students asking "have you ever...." I realized I didn't have nearly enough background. It was another 5 years before I really felt I had the "been there, done that" to claim expertise.

By all means, continue your education, but look to your next step, not the ultimate goal. And OWN each step before taking the next one.

What's the hurry?

Terry

Ok, no one can help huh? Only doubt. Well, I have been diving for about 5 years now somewhat regularly. I'm going to go through this program in about two months. I'm not saying I will be a great instructor as soon as I'm finished, but it is definately a start to a job I feel truly pasionate about. The reason I ask what I should get a head start on, is because I want to do the best I can and learn as much as I can in what I agree is a very short amount time.
Whats the hurry you ask? I have been working a job I hate for the last 5 years and either I can stay there for another 5 working my way up in diving, or I can quit and get started now, at a young age, and build as much experience as possible. I dont want to be a good instructor living all over the world at 50, I want it at 30.
I agree that this is a difficult program with a lot to learn. That is why I'm asking for your imput. I have already sunk a large amount of money into this, so criticism isn't going to help or make me change my mind. I have also done a lot of research on what I want to do here, so please don't think I'm clueless about what I'm getting myself into.
Thanks again to anyone who can provide some positive input on this.

and learn as much as I can in what I agree is a very short amount time.
Whats the hurry you ask? I have been working a job I hate for the last 5 years and either I can stay there for another 5 working my way up in diving, or I can quit and get started now, at a young age, and build as much experience as possible. I dont want to be a good instructor living all over the world at 50, I want it at 30.

Part of what makes a great instructor is time and experience and you can't rush either of these. Also, you can't simply "live all over the world". Any place you would want to live is already full of other people who already live there and their government is very protective of their jobs. You can't just move somewhere and start working unless you have a skill that isn't available locally. SCUBA Instructor isn't one of these jobs.

I agree that this is a difficult program with a lot to learn. That is why I'm asking for your imput. I have already sunk a large amount of money into this, so criticism isn't going to help or make me change my mind. I have also done a lot of research on what I want to do here, so please don't think I'm clueless about what I'm getting myself into.

Without trying to be insulting, I think you are clueless about this. If you're really good you will probably just about make a living in a resort area if you don't have a lot of expenses. And that's if you can actually get the necessary permits to work in these areas, which is generally extremely difficult.

There's nothing wrong with wanting to quit a job that sucks. The trick is to replace it with something that sucks less where you can actually make a living. SCUBA isn't it. Make money at a job you can tolerate and dive when and where it makes you happy.

Terry

As I've said, I am aware of what I'm geting into. I have already had these discussions with numerous people and professionals. I'm doing this regardless of what is posted here, so if you don't want to answere the question asked, your input isn't getting through to me. I have a feeling this discussion is geting away from my origional question and turning into another "Being a instructor is a bad idea" discussion. All I wanted was some ideas of what to start early, and what can be easily picked up on while in the program. So far I've goten no help with this question, so I give up here. Thanks for nothing.

I did exactly what you are going to do and it was the best thing I ever did. I think alot of instructors who are writing you are wrong. Teaching is half experience and half passion. How do you get the experience if you don't get the training and then get the experience. I taught my first class and had good feedback. I got better and better each time. I agree don't get in a hurry and enjoy each level of training. I did alot of diving in a short period of time and this helped me and I also worked on a boat as a divemaster for awhile and this also helped me. Making a living as an instructor is very difficult. I worked a job and taught on the side. My advice is go for it..... Learn as much as you can and do your research on the best IDC. The best IDC will make a huge difference in your ability to teach out of the gate and then find a good shop to work with. Good luck and don't get discouraged by some of the above comments.

Choose a good IDC and a great CD who shares the same passion as you and enjoy the trainig it was the best 3 months of my life. I also quit a job and went for it as a open water diver to instructor. MSDT may be a little ambitious but go for it if that is what you want.

I got all the materials for all of these courses today and would like to get a brief overview on what I'm in for before starting the program.

A lot of hard work.

My question is, what have all of you found to be the most difficult part of this type of program? What would be of beneit to look over thoroughly and what should I just skim through and not worry too much about? If there is anything you guys have struggled with please let me know so I can prepare myself beforehand a little better. Thanks for any input you guys can offer.

I did my DM and OWSI courses part time, at a facility that ran a lot of courses like the one you have enrolled in - I saw a lot of people rush through, whilst I plodded my way.

The biggest challenge will be maintaining enthusiasm and energy, whilst similaneously absorbing a huge amount of material. I ended up joining one group of fast trackers for my IDC.... of six of us in the group, all finished the IDC but only two ever made it to the IE. I recently bumped into the second person, she has actually not been diving at all since the IE, which was four years ago.

I will add my thoughts to others here - these fast track programmes have many issues. You've made up your mind to do it, great, but at least be aware that the step up from DM is huge. If you rush the DM section of your course, it will really show and will take you a long time to get over it.

To give you an idea, all of our DMs take at least six months to complete their programme (part time), of which at least half of that involves working with real students. Every IDC I've been involved in has had one of our own DMs on it, who crusied through the programme. People who had done their DM quickly always stuggle on the IDC. The IDC doesn't cover any diving skills or dive knowledge - it's assumed that you know it from your DM course.... so if you are going to do this the fast way, make sure that you do know it.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom