Dahab trip - questions

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

large_diver

Contributor
Reaction score
Couple of quick questions on Dahab - getting ready to book a last minute trip for April 6-13......

- Water temps....it looks like 21-23C is a valid assumption. I've been diving drysuits for most of my recent diving. Do most folks find a 5mm is enough for these temps?

- Daytrip to Petra from Dahab = Petra is a place I've always wanted to see. Can anyone recommend a reputable local tour operator that I can work with to set this up (4 person family)? Also not sure if I need a different type of visa vs. the standard 1 entry-exit tourist visa....

Thanks!

-Chris

Just returned from Dahab. The water temp was 20-21°C, I dove in a 5mm full suit + 5mm jacket + 7mm boots and was perfectly warm (which is unusual for me), even when I didn't bother to wear the jacket's hood.
I saw a few people diving dry, but the vast majority were in 7mm or 2x5mm wetsuits.

Do bring a very warm fleece jacket for the surface intervals, the wind can be chilly.

I don't have much info about the trip to Petra, I just know that the hotel I stayed at (Inmo Divers Home) offered it. No clue about the price or visa requirements for that (I personaly bought the 15 dollar Egyptian visa stamp at the Sharm airport, I'm not even sure that I needed it since I was only going to Dahab. Don't know about Jordania's visa regulation either).

I saw several trip agencies both on the boardwalk and the main street in Dahab, if you can't find info on the Petra trip before leaving, check them out when you arrive in town and see what your hotel has to offer.

One last piece of advice : the dive sites depend greatly upon the winds, especially this time of year. Moray Garden Three Pools and The Bells/Blue Hole are more often "divable" than other sites such as Canyon or Islands. Therefore, if the conditions are good, do Canyon, Coral Gardens, Islands, etc., in priority, and keep Blue Hole (best in the morning, at 10:30 the place starts packing with daytrippers from Sharm) or Three Pools (great place to spend a day at the beach with the family) for the windy days.

Sorry I can't be of more help.

Enjoy your trip.

Back
Top Bottom