My First Spearfishing Trip!!!

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

denisegg

Indescribable!
ScubaBoard Supporter
Reaction score
# of dives
500 - 999
Spearone(Brandy):D took me on my first Spearfishing Trip Thursday!! I had a blast!! We hit some great sites. It was a beautiful warm sunny day and even though we had 4 ft seas with a few 5 ft'ers mixed in going out Brandy's boat handled them just fine. He has a nice 32 ft boat with an enclosed cabin so it was nice and warm on the inside.
We went out about 27 miles to hit some clearer, warmer water but the conditions still weren't what they had been finding that far out. The first dive was a wreck that he was trying out and the vis was pretty low, maybe 15 ft and the water was 62 degrees. This was my first time out using my tech setup from a boat but it worked out great. I was using a single LP 95 and got an impressive 21 minute bottom time with a max depth of 133ft and an average depth of 100ft and still came back to the boat with 1/3 of my gas. I had a great time "watching" the hunt for fish. These fellows carry guns as tall as me so I decided to just watch on this trip.:D
Since the vis and temp weren't so great Brandy decided to hit the Oriskany for 2 more dives. The vis and temp were about the same here.
The first dive on the Oriskany I had a max depth of 114ft and and average depth of 78ft. for a total bottom time of 24 minutes. I only used a little over 1/3 of my gas this time. The second dive I was down to using an AL80 :depressed: because I only had 2 steel tanks and wow what a difference. I hate those things. I had to double up on my weights and was still light. I also had to reconfigure my regulator to accommodate one yoke valve vs my steels having din h valves but I did it on the boat before the dive. My cave instructor would be proud.:wink: On this dive we hit a max depth of 112ft and an average depth of 76ft for 18 minutes of bottom time. I only used 1/2 my gas on this dive. On the ride back in the seas had calmed to about 2ft and we arrived back at the marina right before sunset.
Brandy whined :wink: about the conditions but I had a great time!! I got to do some deep dives and try out my new tech gear in the ocean and had a great time. It was nice to meet Clay and Paul from the Pensacola area who came along on the trip.
Of course we had to have a post dive "de-briefing" so we picked up Wendy and hit McGuire's and low and behold it was Lady's Night with free drinks for the Lady's!! :blinking: Wow what a blast!! I had a great time. It was great to see Halftime there and I met a bunch of Pensacola divers I won't even begin to try to name all of them but it was great meeting all of you!!

Thank you Brandy for an awesome day at sea!! :kiss2:

Great report Denise and glad you had fun. You didn't mention any fish taken, so I'll guess none were to be had.
Howard

They were successful. They brought some fish home. :D

I've tried that spear fishing thang, but I jist can't get a grip on that atalatal thingie-muh-bob !!!

the K-aveman Diver

Uh oh Denise is gonna have a gun pretty soon- I will DEFINITELY be staying out of the salt now!!!

Wonderful report glad you had fun!

Sounds like you had a good time Denise! :wink:

Uh oh Denise is gonna have a gun pretty soon- I will DEFINITELY be staying out of the salt now!!!

LOL...Now that's smart thinking! :wink:

I've tried that spear fishing thang, but I jist can't get a grip on that atalatal thingie-muh-bob !!!

the K-aveman Diver

I would definitely have to have a gun about half as big as the ones they were using. :shakehead:

Back
Top Bottom