Morrison Springs dive report and pics 3/7/09

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

SeaYoda

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
200 - 499
Please read the following disclaimer:

Today's pictures were an experiment. I set the focus to manual before the dive as practice for the cavern project. On the dive I had to open the aperture much wider than I thought in order to get any picture at all. The result was absolutely no focus. Please do not attempt to find focus in these shots - you may go blind!

Now to the report ....

The air temp is getting warm and the sun was out so surface conditions could not have been better. I had a detour to ScubaTech to pick up my pony from hydro and visual inspections before heading to the pond. I finally made it to the park around 09:30. I was surprised to find a parking spot inside the gate. I decided to make a pit-stop before heading to the water ---- what did I find?????

030709m2.jpg

030709m1.jpg

I'm glad we waited so long to have safe facilities :lotsalove:!!!!!!

I loaded the sand yacht and headed out to the floating dock. I thought I'd see if I liked using it more than I expected. There was no one using the SCUBA Center or the bench. I geared up with just a couple people coming out of the water. I splashed and found viz to be green and chunky.

030709m15.jpg

030709m7.jpg

The cavern was clear as usual. I saw the gnome and a surprise visit by the watermelon boy. Flow seemed medium, not much sand blowing up from the bottom. There was a chain on the big boulder - it looks like someone was trying to open the hole wider. I think nothing moved and the hole looks about the same to me. Here are the fuzzy pictures from dive two - I had the cavern to myself on dive one.

030709m10.jpg

030709m11.jpg

030709m12.jpg

030709m13.jpg

030709m14.jpg

030709m9.jpg

Upon surfacing after dive one, I saw that I would no longer be diving off the floating dock. MBT had three classes going - gear and people were everywhere. I did see Halftime working with the newbies and his daughter was surface support.

030709m3.jpg

Here are some surface pics that turned out OK with the locked manual settings:

030709m8.jpg

030709m5.jpg

030709m6.jpg

If you look close in the last two pics you will see this little fellow:

030709m4.jpg

I adjourned to meet with Sally about a certain cheeseburger matter and then on to the house. Not a bad day at all.

Bill, I got your message to late to meet you out there. The encouraging thing to me in your pictures is that the flash seems to be shooting almost clear across the cavern. When we do our picture project, a few more lights and strobe might just light that place up.

Man, that picture of the boardwalk full of people is kind of depressing. Looks like some major traffic jams up there. Check your work schedule and let me know when we can head back over to test some camera equipment.

The top pictures are just down right disgusting. You could only hope it was just a muddy day. Really shows the piss poor class of the diving community.

It's bad when we waited a year to get well water approved, when the only clean water around is coming from the spring itself.

Glad someone got to do some diving.

Ken

The top pictures are just down right disgusting. You could only hope it was just a muddy day. ...

That, unfortunately, was not mud - the toilet backed up already and the floor drains don't work. The port-a-pottys were a lot better than this.

... Check your work schedule and let me know when we can head back over to test some camera equipment.

Looks like after next week I will be working three 12 hour shifts per week. I will probably be able to dive Mondays, Tuesdays, and early Wednesdays.

Wow, cool snake pic. I was there last weekend, the bathhouse was nice, I hope they get that drainage problem fixed. I really enjoyed the dives, I think the county has done a great job with the facility design. Alot of novice divers, the vis goes down fast, but, catch the springs on a weekday, SWEET! I think divers should practice beach entry at the beach, and stick with dock entries at Morrison"s, this would help alot with viz.

Weekdays are good for me...and ever better to avoid crowds.

My avatar was taken almost three years ago, on a day when it was just me and the guy who took the picture at Morrison. It was a day with perfect water conditions...100 viz and ZERO people. Wish I could remember who that guy was who took that picture!!:D

Looks like after next week I will be working three 12 hour shifts per week. I will probably be able to dive Mondays, Tuesdays, and early Wednesdays.

... Wish I could remember who that guy was who took that picture!!:D

He had a camera that would focus - unlike me :wink:.

My avatar is proof that at some point in your life...you were able to take pictures in focus!:D

He had a camera that would focus - unlike me :wink:.

I, not being cave certified, am surprised at how large the main room is. Impressive!!!! I'd was wondering how the Photo (Time Elapsed Pix) experiment was going. Glad to hear it's still being talked about.

There must be something to the plumbing that we aren't knowing of....

The clarity of the spring is effected by the backwash from the river and NOT beach entries but I agree... practicing beach entries at Morrison isn't preparing anyone for actual Gulf Beach Entries. and Gulf Beach entries don't prepare anyone for Atlantic Beach Entries.....But then again any training helps. Dang I need to get WET!!!! My gills are all dried out! :(

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom