Things you wish your dive instructor would have told you about...

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

xsnapplemanx

Registered
Reaction score
# of dives
0 - 24
Basically, I'm still learning about diving and after reading some of the different threads on here I have come to the conclusion that maybe some dive instructors don't do a thorough enough job... So, what did you run into that you wish your dive instructor would have warned you about?

...and more expensive than crack cocaine!

difference between piston reg & diaphragm one.

I wish my dive instructor would have warned me that I would be forever surrounded by people who feel the need to express their opinions about what dive gear is best or right...whether they've been diving a week or decades, they'll still have to spout off incessantly about how every other diver should gear up.

OP: what did you run into that you wish your dive instructor would have warned you about?

When he watched me poolside, offering advice to another student on gear assembly, he told me (I kid you not) "you'd make a good instructor."

He should have warned me, "you can't make a living at it, at least not in this area." :D

-Bryan

That there is more than one agency to train with and that they are not the same. That you do not have to pay extra for basic information and training. That you can buy gear that suits your needs and interests and not waste money on useless crap because the shop wants you to.

Cranky people on ScubaBoard?????:lotsalove:

My craving that next piece of gear?

I wish I would have been told about the automatic reflex (or feeling of it) of spitting out the regulator when the facial-area is submerged in very cold water. I learned quite a few things my original instructor (who was, actually, a really great instructor) didn't mention on that last check-out dive in a cloud of silt, 40 ft down and lost diving a rock-quarry during a Pennsylvania winter.

Back
Top Bottom