Single on a Luxury Liveaboard?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

liuk3

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
500 - 999
I am contemplating going on one of those luxury liveaboards. I've never been on one. Can you go on them if you are single? Do you dive solo or do they try to find buddies for you to dive with while you are on the liveaboard?

Not sure which liveaboard you're talking about, but single divers are on liveaboards all the time. Often there's another single diver to pair up with, sometimes people dive with the DM or a group. And there is a certain amount of soloing that goes on, though I suspect it would be discouraged in the case of someone who really shouldn't be doing that. It always gets worked out.

I have been on 8 liveaboards while traveling alone. I was always comfortable and welcomed by the other divers. Really, if you can't socialize with a group that you share a common passionate interest with, who can you socialize with? My experience has been that on Aggressors, Mike Ball's boats, and on a few non-branded boats, once the divemasters are satisfied that you are competent--and that should only take a dive--they are happy to turn a blind eye to solo diving on dives where it is appropriate. It has also been easy to find like-minded "same-time, same-ocean" buddies.

I too am doing my first liveaboard this year. I never could justify the expense until I managed to land a better job that afforded me the option. NONE of my friends are into liveaboard diving, they don't want to be stuck on a boat all week....and the rest of my family and friends just don't dive at all. So this year as a reward to myself for getting all my debt paid off I'm treating myself.

I often used to think that an experience as great as a liveaboard trip would be best shared with someone you care about. But on the other hand, if you go alone you get to meet alot of like minded people like you who just LOVE diving to the point that's all they want to do on their vacation AND you only have to worry about yourself having fun, no travel partner means less drama (lost luggage, bad attitudes, extra person to get seasick, etc.) just all of those other things you shouldn't have to deal with.

I'm hitting up the Kona Aggressor in July or August. Which one are you planning on doing?

Your best solution is to bring me along. Then you'll have a dive buddy you won't have to worry about! :D

What is a luxury liveaboard?

Ewaiea: you're in Hawaii; dive somewhere else! :) Go somewhere with multiple islands. Then you'll see why we love liveaboards. They aren't for bringing the family along. Remember, it's dive, THEN everything else.

Ewaiea: you're in Hawaii; dive somewhere else! :) Go somewhere with multiple islands. Then you'll see why we love liveaboards. They aren't for bringing the family along. Remember, it's dive, THEN everything else.

On a luxury liveaboard, they greet you with hot towels and warm cookies, and you sleep on a real bed in your own stateroom. The underwater part is the same on luxury or dirt cheap. :wink:

I often used to think that an experience as great as a liveaboard trip would be best shared with someone you care about.
I had the same thought and dragged my snorkeler girlfriend along on a 10-day liveaboard to Komodo. I am still apologizing.

I have been on a range of liveaboards and would still be happy to rough it to get to the diving I want. But if we're talking about the same dive sites, I'll take the liveaboard with en suite bathrooms, comfortable quarters, periodic linen changes, appropriate camera facilities including big rinse tanks, charging stations, etc., and, of course, warm brownies after the first afternoon dive. Most importantly, for me, the "luxury" liveaboard will have fewer divers than liveaboard cattle boats like a Nekton might. Aggressor, Mike Ball, and Peter Hughes all qualify--although the Galapagos Aggressor has gotten mixed reviews from time to time. The Undersea Hunter was also quite comfortable.

I have read about dive boats that provide true luxury, like a 5-star hotel, but it seems they don't have the same single-minded focus on diving--perhaps by necessity--and they don't really interest me.

Yeah, I totally understand. I do want to hit up some other places, but this year I cannot afford the airfare to PNG, Palau, Cocos Island, etc. So instead I'm doing my first liveaboard in Kona, just to get one under my belt - airfare is under a 1/2 hour and only $130. Then next year I'll be doing either Star Dancer in PNG in mid to late April or the Palau Aggressor in February.

I also have other trips on the wish list too for the next 10 years....I'll probably be doing most of these trips on my own and I am totally fine with that.

Thanks for the responses. Nothing planned. Just left my job and have time on my hands to get back into diving again. Always wanted to do one of those week long liveaboards. It's a lot of money, but I figured I just wanted to try one out.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom