Instructors pay

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

hydroslyder

Registered
Reaction score
To all you PADI instructors out there,
Just wondering, on average how much do you get paid, and is it per person, or per group. I am wondering, because I am thinking about becoming a part time instructor, or and instructor during the summer, and was wondering how much money was in it.

Thanks for your help.

someone will be along to say that "Instructor Pay" is an oxymoron. That may be true for many, and no doubt that many instructors do it for the love of the sport.

Now that is out of the way, here's but one data point. I am a full-time instructor in the Cayman Islands. I pay all of my bills with no worries every month and can save a bit on the side. This year I will take home the equivalent of $30,000 US dollars plus tips tax free. That is take home.

I receive medical insurance and DAN dive accident insurance fully paid. My employer matches my contributions to a government run pension plan as this is a requirement of law in Cayman. Once I have been here two years, my professional liability insurance will be fully paid as well. I have two weeks paid vacation each year as well as paid sick days. I have free use of dive and watersports facilities run by my employer on this island and other islands where they have facilities. Add to that the cheap hotel rates I can get at hotels where we have a dive shop, and I can do a vacation in Aruba or Hawaii for not much.

I work 11 days every two weeks, and 9 hour days at that. I work approximately one night dive per month too.

Casual instruction
$100.00 Australian a day plus Commision on courses and sales.

You mean we're supposed to get paid?!?!?! :confused:

Damn... wish someone would have told me that sooner...

:wink:

~SubMariner~

Drew Sailbum once bubbled...
someone will be along to say that "Instructor Pay" is an oxymoron. That may be true for many, and no doubt that many instructors do it for the love of the sport.

Now that is out of the way, here's but one data point. I am a full-time instructor in the Cayman Islands. I pay all of my bills with no worries every month and can save a bit on the side. This year I will take home the equivalent of $30,000 US dollars plus tips tax free. That is take home.

I receive medical insurance and DAN dive accident insurance fully paid. My employer matches my contributions to a government run pension plan as this is a requirement of law in Cayman. Once I have been here two years, my professional liability insurance will be fully paid as well. I have two weeks paid vacation each year as well as paid sick days. I have free use of dive and watersports facilities run by my employer on this island and other islands where they have facilities. Add to that the cheap hotel rates I can get at hotels where we have a dive shop, and I can do a vacation in Aruba or Hawaii for not much.

I work 11 days every two weeks, and 9 hour days at that. I work approximately one night dive per month too.

This is not bad at all drew. I wonder, are you in need of DMs right now???

Drew - Sounds like you found a really great job...

Do they need any NAUI Instructors? :wink:

You will not make any money teaching SCUBA unless you are working full time and teaching large numbers of students...basically you need to find a job at a popular resort or a well off LDS.

When you teach part time, you usually break even at best. Gear discounts don't make up for it either. I'm tempted to quit teaching all together because it just does not make economical sense.

For that kind of money, I'll do a cross over and make everyone and out PADI PADI.

There are very few instructors out here who can survive on just
instruction.Most of us do it part time and have to work outside the diving industry to put bread on the table.
Why do i sacrifise my weekends and evenings to train scuba?
Because i love doing it.
Howard.

Do they need any one else?

Your success and earnings will argely depend on your approach. If you go at as a hobby, because you love to do it, do not expect to make much.

However, if you approach it as a business you can do well. This also applies to the LDS that you would be associated with. If the LDS owner is always off traveling and runs the business to pay for their diving, you won't have to worry about your tax bracket.

THE LDS that I work for is a business that has a plan, goals and objectives. Consequently, I don't do too bad. i have full benefits that include health, paid vacation, gas card, cell phone and 2 boats at my disposal. I get to go diving and I'm paid every Friday.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom