How many backpacker/budget divers are onboard?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

kathydee

Contributor
Scuba Instructor
Reaction score
# of dives
1000 - 2499
So I've seen the "how many military on board" thread tossing around & I've often wondered how many of you are the international budget explorer types -- ya know: LP books (or not). Regs stuffed in your backpacks, cold showers & bungalows w/wo 8 legged friends.

Care to share your favorite backpacker diving location :)?

I'll start with Puri Madah "resort" in Tulemben Bali
$6 rooms, $7 for a tank, and local food for under $1

when im travelling i would deffinately describe myself in this category. But I became a dive instructor cause I cant afford to pay to dive so I need other people to pay me!!

I don't know if I would be called a "budget" diver. Probably just "cheap" would be a better explanation. That's everything except my regulators. So far it's been a new first and second stage every year. The one thing I insist on though is hot water for the shower. I can handle most of the other stuff.

I consider myself more of a "Flashpacker"

That is a backpacker who is willing to pay a little bit more for a nicer bungalow. Haha.

Koh Tao, Thailand is a favorite of mine. As well as many other places in Thailand.

Lodging under $10 a night. Dives less than $15 if you book several. Some of the best food on the planet.

Coron, Busuanga in the Philippines is a good bargain for wreck diving. Just a few years ago it was around $33 for 2 boat dives with a guide, full equipment rental, lunch on the boat, and a couple of San Migs on the ride back! No super-cheap bungalows, but an AirCon room was $25.

Good thread!

Thomjinx

Hmmm...I am a backpacker (Golden Trout Wilderness in the Sierra's is my favorite trip so far) and do mostly shore diving along our North Coast since I am cheap, BUT would never consider combining the two together. Plus my dive gear and personal items for traveling are around 65 pounds.

Bonaire is pretty cost effective, but no where close to Tulemben Bali
$6 rooms, $7 for a tank, and local food for under $1. :shocked2:

Cebu can also be done for super cheap...

As well as many other places in Thailand.
Lodging under $10 a night. Dives less than $15 if you book several.

Coron, Busuanga in the Philippines is a good bargain for wreck diving. Just a few years ago it was around $33 for 2 boat dives with a guide, full equipment rental, lunch on the boat, and a couple of San Migs on the ride back! No super-cheap bungalows, but an AirCon room was $25.Thomjinx

Oh, this is good! Can you share some of your favorite specifics?

Dive Bali with Tulamben Wreck Divers - Special Dive Packages - Might be my mid summer travels. Any suggestions?

Edit: So, the stay and dives are cheap, but airfare is outrageous.

Sure I have suggestions for flights & for diving.

First try flights from LA to Hong Kong then airasia.com flights through Kuala Lumpur to link down to Bali. Travelzoo.com is a good bet. Alternatively, It's easy to get to bali from Bangkok, Kuala Lumpur or even Manilla so be creative with Airasia.com. Frequent flier miles are much cheaper (60,000 miles & $150) :D.

Inexpensive diving can be found at the original "resort" it's seen better days but does just fine. I'll dig around in my posts and pull up detailed info if you wish. I'll probably be there sometime this summer if ya want a partner :D!

Oh man!
You had me all excited when I saw the thread title "How many BACKPACKER budget divers on board" and I thought it was going to be another tank backpacker thread, not a land backpacking thread.
Oh well.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom