Cocos (Keeling) Islands

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

DaG

Registered
Reaction score
Hi there,
Currently looking into organising a dive trip for my dive club to the Cocos Islands [the ones NW of Perth - not to be confused with the -other- Cocos Islands!]

Has anyone had any experience with diving there and would like to share them? Advice, thoughts - complaints .. all would be welcome:)

Thanks
Damien

Hi Damien,

New to the forum, so here's my first post.

I haven't had the fortune to dive there myself - yet.
However, the people that I know who have been there speak very highly of Cocos Keeling.
"The Maledives how they must have looked like 30 years ago..." "Best value fish/dive dollar " was a comment of a client after he was diving up and down the Pacific for over 18 month in a row.
(I run an online dive travel agency)

So in October I will finally go there.
From what I understand you can do weekly packages from Perth. A good idea would be to combine it with a week at Christmas Island. Thios place is completely different. Rugged rocky coastline, caves galore, and a maxcimum of only 10 divers at any given time...
The operator there trys to keep it very exclusive.

When are you guys planning to go?

cairnsdiver

Hi Cairnsdiver,
Sorry I've been away diving up at Exmouth - I have organised through my dive club a 14 day trip to the Cocos and Christmas Islands, 5 days of diving on each island for AUD$3000.00.

Includes airfare, accomodation, tanks/refills, lunches on diving days.

I'm looking forward to the trip if we get numbers!:)

AUD 3000 sounds like a very good deal. The beauty is that they have a number of big appartments, so groups can share and keep the cost low. I'll post a report when I'm back mid November. When are you planning to head out?:wink:

cairnsdiver once bubbled...
AUD 3000 sounds like a very good deal. The beauty is that they have a number of big appartments, so groups can share and keep the cost low. I'll post a report when I'm back mid November. When are you planning to head out?:wink:

We are planning on going January 4th 2004 :wink:

Cant wait :)

I look forward to reading your report!!!

I was there in September 2003. Very unimpressed. Don't believe the literature by Gerhard Dieter - operator there - as being world class. Would rate as 2 on a scale of 1 to 10. Some hard and leather corals. Many sites seem to be victims of coral bleaching. Sharks on some dives. Saw a manta for 30 seconds on one dive.

I went to Christmas Island on the same trip. Better for corals. Not much large stuff. Definitely more variety in terms of underwater life.

DontLieToMe:
I was there in September 2003. Very unimpressed. Don't believe the literature by Gerhard Dieter - operator there - as being world class. Would rate as 2 on a scale of 1 to 10. Some hard and leather corals. Many sites seem to be victims of coral bleaching. Sharks on some dives. Saw a manta for 30 seconds on one dive.

I went to Christmas Island on the same trip. Better for corals. Not much large stuff. Definitely more variety in terms of underwater life.

Interesting - I returned from Christmas/Cocos Islands early this week. I throughly enjoyed my diving on both islands but they were very different places.

Wont say which I prefered because I loved the entire trip - 2 weeks of diving was heavenly. We saw a hammerhead, manta rays, turtles, sharks sharks and more sharks, big pelagics such as tuna, wahoo, rainbow runner - it was absolutely spectacular!

If anyone is interested in seeing the pictures, above water and below, please pm me for the gallery link.

I've hear many good things about Cocos - just abit hard and expensive to get there. But it's definitely on my list !

Check out the site below - there is a story on a dive with a dugong, as well as a story on a tiger shark encounter, plus loads of photos in the gallery.

www.underwater.com.au is a great resource for all your diving questions - lots of stories, photos and excellent info.

It's THE Scuba diving portal for Australia. Comprehensive information on dive shops, liveaboards, charter and day boats, accommodation, gear and more - community meeting place for divers and marine enthusiasts.

See you underwater .....

Tim :wink:

DaG:
Hi there,
Currently looking into organising a dive trip for my dive club to the Cocos Islands [the ones NW of Perth - not to be confused with the -other- Cocos Islands!]

Has anyone had any experience with diving there and would like to share them? Advice, thoughts - complaints .. all would be welcome:)

Thanks
Damien

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom