One more day and I'm off to Guam and Australia!

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

h3o

Reaction score
I've been planning this trip since October and its finally coming down to lift off! :D I'll be in Guam for a week doing mostly shore dives, then to Australia for 3 weeks. We don't have any liveaboards booked, but with the amount of time will be there, I'm sure we'll be able to find one going to the Ribbon Reefs and/or Coral Sea for a great standby price. After Cairns, we're heading to Brisbane and Sydney. Damn, I'm getting pretty excited :guitar:

I know what you mean, we are right behind you. We are 35 days away and it's off to Australia and Hawaii. Where are you staying in Cairns, we'll be at Tradewinds Esplanade. Are you going to try to book a liveaboard when you get there? It's supposed to be whale season.
Do you plan to see the rainforest?

Thinking of OZ,(':eek:gle:')
Caymaniac

ps. the plane ride will be longgggggggg!
(':whist:')
(':jdrop:')

caymaniac once bubbled...
I know what you mean, we are right behind you. We are 35 days away and it's off to Australia and Hawaii. Where are you staying in Cairns, we'll be at Tradewinds Esplanade. Are you going to try to book a liveaboard when you get there? It's supposed to be whale season.
Do you plan to see the rainforest?

Thinking of OZ,(':eek:gle:')
Caymaniac

ps. the plane ride will be longgggggggg!
(':whist:')
(':jdrop:')

My friend and I are on a pretty tight budget, so we'll be staying at the hostels and also beach camping. On our first night we're staying at the YHA Esplanade, everything after that is up in the air. We're going to try and get on the Spirit of Freedom or Taka II for either a Ribbon Reefs trip or a Coral Sea trip... more so Ribbon Reefs since it's whale time :D As far as the rainforest, we're definitely going to make a trip up to Daintree, we're thinking of Uncle Brian's day tour, it's gotten rave reviews. Other places from Cairns we're planning on visiting are the Tablelands, Fitzroy Island, the northern beaches and Kuranda. Besides touring the city, in Brisbane, we'll be going to Moreton Island and Surfer's Paradise, in Sydney will be going to the Blue Mountains. When will you be there? I'll be there till June 13th. As for the plane ride, I fly back home to Guam often so I'm used to long plane rides! 13 hours to Guam for the west coast! have fun!

h3o once bubbled...

ins. When will you be there? I'll be there till June 13th. As for the plane ride, I fly back home to Guam often so I'm used to long plane rides! 13 hours to Guam for the west coast! have fun!

We'll be leaving on the 20th from Grand Rapids, Mich. and arrive in Cairns on the 22nd of June, it looks like I'll miss you by a week. I've recently read June July & August are the busy months in Cairns and Port Douglas. I've left a few days at the hotel before we join up with our liveaboard - Quicksilvers "Diversity". Its a four nighter, but we go to 2 days to Osprey Reef then to Cod Hole and then Ribbons. Its our first liveaboard. At about 65ft. by 25ft. it's a small liveaboard but with only 12 passengers and it was brand new last year it should be great. Our plans for Cairns area are Tablelands, Kurunda via skyrail, and Daintree. It will be great to compare notes latter. Are you renting a car? I was thinking I might be able to get by without a car but I'm not sure.

:confused:
Caymaniac

When you keep your own gear serviced at regular intervals plus you are very familiar with how to operate your gear and check depth and times, it would bring a small degree of difficulty and unfamiliarness to our diving. It would protract from the way we observe marine life......and for these puposes we will take our own gear :) , plus it saves us a bit in cost , however, it will be a pain if my equip. gets lost and it will be a pain to hall it through the airports!
Dive safe,
Caymaniac:boom:

This is the best time of year to come to Australia...

There is a book you can get, I just bought it and I can't reccomend it enough, called "Atlas of Australian Dive Sites, Travelers Addition". It just got released here in Australia and its a state by state guide to all the best dive spots in the country.
It defines them by difficulty, has heaps of maps and colour photographs, I don't know why someone didn't think of it before.

Looks like its been designed on same basis as the Lonely Planet travel books, and if you are traveling and diving its the one for you.

Later

Coogeeman

Coogeeman once bubbled... This is the best time of year to come to Australia...

Coogeeman

Seeing that you are from Australia, have you dove in the far north or Coral Sea?

Caymaniac:)

caymaniac once bubbled...

We'll be leaving on the 20th from Grand Rapids, Mich. and arrive in Cairns on the 22nd of June, it looks like I'll miss you by a week. I've recently read June July & August are the busy months in Cairns and Port Douglas. I've left a few days at the hotel before we join up with our liveaboard - Quicksilvers "Diversity". Its a four nighter, but we go to 2 days to Osprey Reef then to Cod Hole and then Ribbons. Its our first liveaboard. At about 65ft. by 25ft. it's a small liveaboard but with only 12 passengers and it was brand new last year it should be great. Our plans for Cairns area are Tablelands, Kurunda via skyrail, and Daintree. It will be great to compare notes latter. Are you renting a car? I was thinking I might be able to get by without a car but I'm not sure.

:confused:
Caymaniac

You guys will have a great time. Caymaniac did you get my response to you PM?

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom