Does extreme cold water diving call for fully redundant regulators?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Thalassamania

Diving Polymath
ScubaBoard Supporter
Reaction score
On a large pile of smokin' A'a, the most isolated
# of dives
5000 - ∞
Given the increased probability of a regulator failure in very cold water and the fact that ice may complicate your ascent and the reality that having two divers breathing off a single first state will greatly increase the likelihood of free flow ... would it be prudent to dive with a fully redundant regulator, (e.g., isolated doubles, independent doubles, pony, etc.)?

I see this set-up quite frequently on buddies who dive locally year-round.

singletankrouting1.jpg

Sweet looking rig. I think it makes sense.

I did the classroom portion for ice diving recently, and am heading out to do the ice dives this weekend, so I'm by no means experienced whatsoever ice diving..

I had the same thought, though, with regards to the increased demand on the regulator while sharing air. Even with a tether to the surface and tenders pulling you up fairly quick in the event of an emergency, it's still a risk that I feel can be mitigated by redundancy. Even if a double free-flow isn't that high of a risk, it's still a risk that can be managed.

I personally got a decently sized pony bottle to sling to have that redundancy. (plus when I progress to the point of taking a deco course, I'll have it as a deco bottle)

If I was ice diving I'd opt for redundancy but for day to day openwater dives I don't. The water is 32-34 here right now and we aren't having much problem.

DM

I see this set-up quite frequently on buddies who dive locally year-round.

singletankrouting1.jpg

Yeah,you're seeing it every day,it's your setup.:D
For me,in the last 25years I've never seen a freeze up on a scuba reg. unless it was provoket intentionaly. i.e. forced freeflow.
Never had one my self,not even in near freezing water.
When diving solo, I dive a H-valve just to be sure.
NOT just for the freeze up, but for a major 1st stage breakdown.

I never said it wasn't. But I also see it used by other buddies...

Hey,I never said it wasn't a good setup,IMO it is.:D

BTW.I like this one better then the doubles(for reg.divers that is)not as heavy as a set of 2x10's :D

Greetings Thalassamania! I am not as experienced as most but do dive cold water almost always. Just last saturday while recovering a ATV from a local lake in 34º water I had several free flows. They were not serious and a result of lift bag inflation no mystery there. The water was shallow but cold with ice still on most of the lake.
I was wishing for my doubles but traveled light because of the in and out of the small boat. All went well and was fine.
If it had been deeper water redundant regs would have been a must for me personally!
Anything over 60' or water temps below 40º is my personal limits.
I support your thoughts and agree redundancy is the way to go for cold water!
Good luck and safe diving to you!
CamG Keep diving....Keep training....keep learning!

Id suggest all divers should have an a redundant air source adequate to get them to the surface on EVERY dive.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom