True & frustrating

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

maged_mmh

Contributor
Scuba Instructor
Reaction score
# of dives
100 - 199
While I read through the DM manual; i come across "dive industry", "dive consumer" (no, not even customer!), and "dive business".
my first amazement was that no mention of the "dive sport" whatsoever, the term does exist in the OW manual though!
to top it; this "consumer" thing is just irritating; there are still respectable dive clubs apart from some deli-like dive stores; needless to say which one is getting the agency support.:shakehead:

While I read through the DM manual; i come across "dive industry", "dive consumer" (no, not even customer!), and "dive business".
my first amazement was that no mention of the "dive sport" whatsoever, the term does exist in the OW manual though!
to top it; this "consumer" thing is just irritating; there are still respectable dive clubs apart from some deli-like dive stores; needless to say which one is getting the agency support.:shakehead:

You're over thinking it.

It's a business, it's a recreation, it's a sport, it's a hobby, it's fun, it's ..... etc etc.

It's whatever you decide it is. For shops, training agencies and resorts it's mostly a business. You'll have to understand that at some level in order to understand and execute your roll as DM so just get used to the idea as you go.

R..

Which agency are you talking about? At least PADI still supports independent instructors. SSI only provides support to through a dive shop - unaffiliated instructors are SOL.

Which agency are you talking about? At least PADI still supports independent instructors. SSI only provides support to through a dive shop - unaffiliated instructors are SOL.

Not to start a flame war about this agency vs that, but how do you know that the instr. teaching out of his basement is upholding the agency standards? Ya know, apart from him giving you his word.

Not to start a flame war about this agency vs that, but how do you know that the instr. teaching out of his basement is upholding the agency standards? Ya know, apart from him giving you his word.

The same way you know the instructor teaching out of his shop is upholding agency standards ... mostly through student feedback.

When was the last time your dive shop was "audited" by your agency to assure they were upholding standards? (my guess would be "never") ...

... Bob (Grateful Diver)

You've missed the point.

Divemaster is the first step into the professional realm, and you now become the diving provider. This is a paradigm shift. In the past you've been the diving consumer and your attention has been focused on you, and your diving experience. Starting With Divemaster you now become the provider, and are there to ensure the consumer (or customer if you prefer) has a great experience....many times at the cost of your own personal experience. Hence the new look at the overall experience with terms such as "Dive Industry", Dive Consumer"....etc.....

It's a shift in focus and thinking.

Never get too worked up about the labels people give things.

Otherwise it is a short hop to beating the political correctness drum, and valuing form over substance.

What’s your problem with the word consumer? and Im not sure how you are trying to relate dive clubs and 'deli-like' dive shops, could you explain?
It has been my experience that in general dive clubs are independent of retail stores. Are you talking about sponsored dive clubs?

Consumer - a person or organization that uses a commodity or service.

Customer - a person who purchases goods or services from another; buyer; patron

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom