Cebu trip ends in tragedy for two HK scuba divers

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

travelem

Contributor
Reaction score
Two Hong Kong residents have died in a scuba-diving incident in Cebu in the Philippines.
The Immigration Department, which is in contact with the Chinese consulate in Cebu, confirmed a man and a woman died on Sunday, and another man was injured.

The families of the dead have been contacted, a spokesman said.

Pang Chi-lung, 44, and Joanna Cheung-wai, 28, both licensed divers, arrived in the Philippines on Friday, reports said. They headed out to Cebu on Sunday with a group of seven divers, with the two later proceeding to Barangay Tingo on Olango Island.

Pang was in possession of a Canadian passport and Cheung an American passport, Philippine television news broadcasts reported.

According to Lapu-Lapu police chief superintendent Mariano Natu-el, the two were found unconscious underwater by their instructor Cheung Hung-kam, who had searched for them when they failed to surface after 30 minutes.

They were certified dead on arrival at the Mactan Doctor's Hospital.

Their bodies were taken to Cosmopolitan Funeral Homes where an autopsy was to be conducted.

The group was on the last dive of its trip, said an official at the Paradive HK Scuba Diving Resort in Punta Engano, where the divers stayed.

He added the group had brought its own equipment.

Hong Kong Underwater Archaeological Association chairman Jackie Wu Ming-chuen said the area is notoriously steep with underwater walls.

cebu divers usually go 150-170 feet in search treshers in tingo. first time i heard of anyone dying there though. RIP.

Saw the news in the local HK newspaper yesterday. Sad news.

Sad news...I hope they release further details, it may avoid another death.

some crystal ballers in one of them threads are already discussing the causes, Chip....tsk tsk (including one post I seem to develop an instant headache every time I finish reading it)

I guess we'll never really know what went wrong....

some crystal ballers in one of them threads are already discussing the causes, Chip....tsk tsk (including one post I seem to develop an instant headache every time I finish reading it)

I guess we'll never really know what went wrong....

I think he uses an online translator. And yes, it gives me a headache too(but at least he's trying...lol)

Back
Top Bottom