Canon HG/HF...white balance accessible through Ikelite housing?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

SPKelpDiver

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
100 - 199
I posted this on the videography forums, but had no response

I thought everything was gravy, I was planning on getting a Canon HG20 and an Ikelite 6801 housing, than I notice that Ikelite doesn't list white balance and a useable function. I have been doing some research on videography and camera functions, one of the main things I hear over and over is the importance of adjusting white balance once you get into the enviornment where you intend to shoot. Than I noticed it isn't listed for any of the HF/HG housings except the HG10. Am I missing something? Is that control through the camera LCD and not actually external? Somebody help me out here.

Molded of clear polycarbonate to provide seamless construction and corrosion proof performance. This "Clearly Superior" design provides full view of the camcorder, control functions, and assurance the system is safe up to 200 feet (60 meters).

Vixia HG20 Housings Features:

Rear-view LCD Monitor
Power on/off Control
Record start/stop
Zoom Control
Snapshot Control
Joystick Controls
Mode Dial Control
Function Button
Removable external UR/Pro Filter

Ok so it says this on the Ikelite website in the description of the housing that I want, I am wondering if white balance in accessible through the joystick controls listed under housing feature. Plus it says it provides full use of control functions, so I should be ok right?
This is where I am confused though...the HG10 housing lists this as housing features...

HG10 Housing Features:
Super-Eye Viewfinder
Power On/Off Control
Record Start/Stop
Zoom Control
Photo/Snapshot Control
Function Button Control
Quickstart/Display Control
Auto/Manual Focus Control
Control Dial
White Balance
Joystick (2 Controls) Navigation Buttons
Mode Switch
Movie/Still Switch
Removable External UR/Pro Filter

I can't imagine Ikelite not including white balance in the HG20 Housing, but I am not ordering my rig till I know for sure...

I admit our references to white balance accessibility are not exactly consistent. In general we only list "white balance" separately if there is a control on the camcorder dedicated to white balance. This usually isn't the case with current models and for most newer models we do not separately reference this as a feature.

Both the HG10 and HG20 use the joystick to set custom white balance. The joystick controls are accessible through both housings.

The line beginning "This 'Clearly Superior' design" is intended to mean that you have full view of the camera's controls. Not all housings provide full use of all control functions.

Regards,
Jean / Ikelite
IKELITE Underwater Systems

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom