Should all divers have a redundant air source on every dive?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Thalassamania

Diving Polymath
ScubaBoard Supporter
Reaction score
On a large pile of smokin' A'a, the most isolated
# of dives
5000 - ∞
Id suggest all divers should have an a redundant air source adequate to get them to the surface on EVERY dive.
Working from the extremes to the middle shows this to be ridiculous. If you are in chest deep water you clearly do not need a redundant air source, but if you're at 450 feet on mix ... it's likely a rather good idea. Somewhere between those two extremes is a point where an individual must decide what their approach will be: self, buddy or redundant ... and that choice will change with depth and conditions and tasks.

For me, on a clear, warm, lightly loaded dive, I'm happy to make a free ascent down to about 120 feet, I'm happy to depend on my buddy down to 190, and after that I insist on carrying a redundant supply ... your results will differ, that's to be expected. Cut that in half for the North Atlantic or a task loaded dive.

:popcorn::coke:

NO!

N, solo, go for it, dying only hurts once

I just recently purchased a 19cf pony and spare reg. Prior to that I never dove redundant. If I am doing an 'easy' dive for me - even solo - defined to lightly loaded and down to maybe 40-60 ft - I don't feel the need to bring that pony. If I am diving deeper - or doing more work - I will bring it from now on. I like the idea of being able to return to the surface breathing and able to do a stop if need be.

I will say I am not tech diving - and I have air in the pony so I can 'always' use it if I need to.

Minimum redundant emergency supply recommended was a 19 cf pony tank, to be carried and slung like a deco bottle.

Pony bottles are useful but it you use one, I would recomend that you use it on every dive as it will affect your buoyancy a bit and you can bet that if you do not take it then you will need it!
If you have safety gear then take it with you!

Minimum redundant emergency supply recommended was a 19 cf pony tank, to be carried and slung like a deco bottle.

I like that reference - my 'normal' SAC is between .5 and .7 (temperature and excitement level dependent) and I felt that a 19cf bottle would be the best bet for size/weight and usefulness.

I agree that somewhere along the way we all have to make an educated decision as to where the sweet spot is for our own personal insanity of taking part in a sport that requires the participant bring his/her own air! The whole "safety" concept is nuts. My wife tells me the only safe way to dive is to not dive at all. Doing a forty foot dive with dual first stages, 27 foot air hoses, stage tanks, spare air, and dive lights capable of burning metal seems to me a lot like buying a 1 ton, dual axel, diesel, super crew cab, turbo charged monster truck with a rear winch and a front brush guard to go to work and back and pick the kids up at school. It's a free country.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom