Right angle sync cord adapter?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

driftin' by

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
100 - 199
Just back from a trip to Bonaire and noticed that TTL sync cord kinda took a beating where it connects to the bulkhead of my Ikelite G9 housing. With every attempt to lay my rig face (lens) down to protect the cord, I think with some of the more trickier entries and exits in Bonaire the back side of the housing would occasionally rub against me or my fins while carrying them. I noticed the cord had become bent quite sharply at the connector and I'm concerned with how much more of a beating it can withstand before failing. I noticed that the dSLR housings are equipped with a right angle bulkhead. Is there a right angle adapter available or is it possible to retrofit my housing with one similar to those on the dSLR housings? I noticed that the new cords have strain relief however, they would still eventually succumb to the pressure protruding perpendicularly out the back of the housing.

At this time we do not have any sort of right-angle bulkhead for the smaller compact digital housings. The new strain reliefs really do make a big difference though, especially when using housings like the G9.

If you own a multimeter, you could test continuity to make sure that none of the wires inside if your cord have broken. Or you could return the cord to us for testing. We do offer a reduced exchange price for sync cords with broken wires. The exchange cord would have strain reliefs built in.

Regards,
Jean / Ikelite
IKELITE Underwater Systems

Thanks for the response. Currently, everything works fine and no cords are broken... yet. The casing around the cord is also in good condition and intact. I'm sure there are other's out there who's cords look a lot worse. With this being my first use, I see it as failure point and with all due respect, a flaw in the design which has been addressed with the right angle bulkhead on the dSLR housings and the new strain relief cords. In the future and I understand that no matter what, over time I will need to replaced the cord.

Since there is no solution for the bulkhead, in the meantime, would it be possible to exchange a fully functional cord at a reduced price for one of the new strain relief ones? When it does fail, I will most like be on an expensive dive vacation and left with little recourse at that moment to remedy the situation without going ahead now and purchasing a second cord for backup.

Thanks

The replacement price for a single sync cord is currently $50 plus return shipping. As it is a replacement cost, the original cord will not be returned.

Repair and exchange prices are subject to change without notice.

Regards,
Jean / Ikelite

The replacement price for a single sync cord is currently $50 plus return shipping. As it is a replacement cost, the original cord will not be returned.

Repair and exchange prices are subject to change without notice.

Regards,
Jean / Ikelite

Just letting you know Jean that my 10 month old strain relief dual cord is on its way back due to failure. Thats two dual sync cords in 12 months, 3 cords in 3 years.

Strongly suggest to anyone with Ikelite sync cords that they have backups.

Regards Mark

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom