Anilao/Donsol Logistics Advice Needed

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

broadreach

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
200 - 499
Hi there PPD folks

I've been following this board for quite a while and been reading up all the info about the various dive destinations in the Philippines. As there are so many great locations to choose from, it was very hard deciding where to go.

Since I am really keen on seeing whalesharks and both my wife and I enjoy good muck diving, we decided to stick to Luzon and split our time between Anilao and Donsol.
We are timing our trip to what we read is a good time for whaleshark encounters - mid April (after Holy Week to avoid the crowds).

After considering our budget limits, web based-information and reviews we've read, we picked Portulano as our base for Anilao.

Our flight arrives early evening in Manila, so it seems like we will have to spend the night in town (if anyone has a good budget/mid-range hotel recommendation feel please chime in). We will then head over to Anilao by bus in the morning.

Before asking my questions, let me just say that we are independent-travel types that usually go for budget/mid-range options. We live in Thailand and are well traveled in other parts of Southeast Asia, but this is going to be our first trip to the Philippines.

Question 1: Getting from Anilao to Donsol
After some days of diving at Anilao, we want to head down to Donsol for a chance to see some whalesharks. We initially thought about going back to Manila and flying down, but that would mean losing a day of diving at Anilao. So we are thinking that taking a bus from Anilao or Batangas area to Legaspi city might make more sense.

Can anyone recommend a proper route? are we really going to have to go back to Manila (Pasay City) to take a bus to Legaspi? Is there anything else worthwhile to see on the way between Batangas and Legaspi? (a glance at the map suggest a few national parks along the route)

Are there any ferries going from Batangas area to Legaspi/Sorsogon?

Question 2: Accommodation in Donsol:
We picked a resort that seem to match our criteria and budget - Amor Farm Beach Resort. The problem is that they don't take credit cards and I am reluctant to do a bank transfer to reserve a room. So I'm thinking that maybe we should just go without making reservations in advance.
Do you guys think that finding budget/mid range accomodation in Donsol will be difficult around April 19th (two weeks after Holy Week, right?) can we just arrive and wing it?

Question 3: Diving near Donsol
We've read about the Manta bowl near Donsol (is that by Ticao island?). I've read some mixed reviews on this board, but it seems that the people reporting boring dives with no Mantas were there in the wrong season.
Do you guys think that it's worth it?
How bad are the currents? my wife is not very experienced diving in currents and I'm concerned it might not be suitable for her.
Any other interesting dives in the area?

Question 4: Guidebook
Can anyone recommend a good up to date guide book for the Philippines?
We usually go with the Lonely Planet, but the current edition is really old (2006) and the new one will not come out before May '09 (after we return).
I've been looking at the Jens Peters Philippines Travel Guide from January '09. Any other suggestions?

Feel free to share any other comments suggestions.

Thanks!

I'm also planning on going to Ticao/Donsol for some whale sharking adventures. A friend has suggested I find a place on Ticao to stay as the accommodations in Donsol seem to be kind of rough (pasted the important part of the email below)

Question is, does anyone have a good resort recommendation for Ticao?

Thanks,
Soozy

Stayed at a place called Vitton Resort in Donsol. They have no website but quite a few comments about them on Trip Advisor.

I would actually suggest to perhaps even stay at Ticao Island - there is a resort there and the accom is supposed to be much better than Donsol (it really was pretty poor quality there in terms accom and food) - plus you will be right near the dive sites, which are at Ticao Pass (ie "Manta Bowl" etc). I would stay there over Donsol if I returned in future. For the whale shark snorkelling, you'll have to commute back though (approx one and half hrs ride)

don't quote me but i wouldn't be too hot about taking a bus from batangas to donsol...

the terminals of the bus lines w/ the best arrangements (deluxe/ 1st class, whatever they call it... it's all around only P700 so not a budget buster) are all in the pasay or quezon city area

if you will find any (like at the calamba/ sto. tomas area after exiting the highway) they'll be ordinary rides... you don't want to torture yourself with that...

the deluxe ones (try Philtranco Services Enterprise Inc. - Mains) will at least have fairly decent reclining seats and airconditioning... it's a 10-12 hour bus trip to legazpi so keep that in mind...

there are 2 bus lines from cubao (quezon city) area as well... Cagsawa and Penafrancia... both have lazy-boy type seats and i hear their aircon is frigid... i haven't taken these yet but my colleagues swear by them

my 2 cents is go back to manila and take it from there...

Jag

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom