Is this for real????

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Tamas

Contributor
Reaction score
Pictured: The moment a diver grappled with a 12ft tiger shark to save a friend | Mail Online

article-1161211-03D5BC0A000005DC-650_634x595.jpg

Just last week, my co-workers were talking about buying my son a giant "pig sticker" knife to protect him from sharks on our trip to Mexico this summer. (all in jest of course) When this story came across my news feeder. I wanted to forward it cause the headline was something like "Man kills shark with dive knife to save his friend" and thought it would be funny for the guys that wanted to buy the big knife. I read the story and was sad after, cause dude brutally killed this shark over 2 hours, when there was no real imminent attack.

So instead I burried the story, didnt even post it here. The pics in the article all look like they were staged after the animal was murdered.

p.s. I particularly hate the part "We kept the head and tail" for trophys?

I agree BS.....Sure he might have taken the shark but it sounds like the words.... "to save his friend".....Is supposed to make it all ok. To each is own BUT call it what it is. If you have to call it something else and "hide" the truth..... Should you really be doing it then?

I bet it was an amazing fight though.

Its coming right at us?

speared.

Its coming right at us again with a spear in it?

speared.

Its coming right at us again with 2 spears in it?

speared.

Its coming right at us again with 3 spears in it?

speared.

Its coming right at us again with 4 spears in it?

speared.

Its coming right at us again with 5 spears in it?

speared.

Its coming right at us again with 6 spears in it?

speared.

Its coming right at us again with 7 spears in it?

Oh crap, I'm out of spears, knifed.

OR.

Look at that big shark, lets keep piling spearing into it until its so weakened we can handle it.

I'm thinking the later is more believable.

Its coming right at us?

Look at that big shark, lets keep piling spearing into it until its so weakened we can handle it.

I'm thinking the later is more believable.

Especially since they were freediving. You have to figure at least 60 trips to the surface for gulps of air over the two hours it took to torture the poor shark to death.

I'm all for self-defense, but this was self-gratification, you'd have a hard time convincing me otherwise.

Sigh...do you really want my opinion on this?

SAD SAD SAD!

The pic below is a Tiger that Wolfgang Leander fed down in the Bahamas on my trip. Kind of similiar in size to the one in the article. Now, if that would have been self defense, I am not sure that the shark would keep coming at you with multiple spears in it's back. I call foul on this whole story.

3271498274_61f975dd7f_o.jpg

Carolyn:shark2:

Last edited:
Ive never had to pull the trigger on a shark while spearfishing. I have had to poke a few hard enough to penetrate the skin when they get their little frenzy going after my stringer. Sharks are cool until you have something they want. Looks like this one was pretty pissed. If they actually had to put a shaft in it, at least they finished the job and got all that equipment back.
I hope these Bull Sharks we play with in the Gulf keep acting right because im lineshafting!!!

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom