Which classes should I take?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

rustyshakelford

Contributor
Reaction score
Hello!

I have planned a trip to pensacola at the end of march to the first of april. Ill be there from 4-5 days then drive home.

Currently I was planning on taking wreck diver, deep diver, and peak performance buoyancy while there to obtain my PADI Master Diver Cert.

Im now considering trying to find some classes like advanced nitrox/deco procedures or DSAT tech 1 or something similar.

A padi master diver cert wont do anything other than cost me several hundred dollars and i wont gain much. Im thinking i would like to take some other classes and utilizing the great vis in pensacola to refine the new skills.

what do youll think the best course of action is?

brett

Taking all those in 4-5 days will get you nothing but a few extra cards. In order to actually benefit from them you should take them one at a time and get some dives in that discipline in. I'd suggest 10 or so at at least using the skills and then move on to the next one. You gain nothing from any class unless you get some practice in before moving on. The only one who makes out doing what you are talking about doing is the guy getting your money.

If I were going to Pensacola with the idea of getting some additional training, I'd talk to Dive-aholic and do a cavern class. Even if you don't want to cave dive, the education is superb. Polishing buoyancy control, learning non-silting propulsion, learning a bunch about gas planning -- it all goes to improving the quality of your OW diving as well.

talked with someone today and ill be taking naui's intro to tech. really looking forward to it and its with another fireman so it should be educational and fun

brett

Jim Lap is correct the only one making out is the one taking your money. I read so much here about people just accumulating cards with no real experience or enjoyment in them. People always wanting to go deeper for a few minutes and then waiting at the deco stop for how ever long, and then your day is kinda over. All that travel and time for for a few minutes at the deep end. You can spend all day at 30 feet, and actually see things and enjoy warmer water

Jim Lap is correct the only one making out is the one taking your money. I read so much here about people just accumulating cards with no real experience or enjoyment in them. People always wanting to go deeper for a few minutes and then waiting at the deco stop for how ever long, and then your day is kinda over. All that travel and time for for a few minutes at the deep end. You can spend all day at 30 feet, and actually see things and enjoy warmer water

I'm not exactly sure why your day would be over. Decompression procedures allow for time spent beyond NDL. That's kinda the point :D Of course if the OP is just looking for merit badges then you are spot on.

Back
Top Bottom