Diver fights off 12-foot shark

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

ScubaSarus

Reaction score
# of dives
200 - 499
There is a video today about a diver fighting off and killing a tiger shark. Just google "Diver fights off 12-foot shark".

I'm going to take a risk here and make my own determination that these 2 divers instigated the incident as they had spear guns. I could see if it was with a dive knife maybe; but it looks like they were prepared to kill something big.

Like I say, I'm taking a big risk. I see no video of the shark attacking the diver and it appears the shark is just slowly meandering about maybe a bit curious; but I see no unusual agressive behavior. It actually looks like the divers are also in a calm state of control over the shark. No video of the attack is shown on the ones I looked at.

Here is the CNN link but many sites have it.

Video - Breaking News Videos from CNN.com

Sorry, been diving with Tigers...there was no reason to spear it. Using the spear gun, one just had to bump it out of the way. They get the message. I know many spearos who have had encounters with sharks, especially bulls, and have had no reason to kill the sharks. Not everyone is in agreement, but most sharks rarely need more than one warning to go away. This was a very young female and such a waste. I call foul on this one, and since there was a film crew with them, it looks like a set-up for good TV.

article-1161211-03D5BC0A000005DC-650_634x595.jpg
this All this does is glorify the senseless slaughter of sharks. :shakehead:Sad and Pathetic!:shakehead: Makes you wonder, how many times this guy surfaced for air in his "struggle" with the shark. He and his buddies could have been out of the water well before this type of brutal action was taken IF this shark was such a "threat"!

Oh I forgot...it took him 2 HOURS to kill it! That's a mighty long time to be "fighting for your life"! Uh huh. I am so impressed! Whatever.

The video of this is even more disgusting! Heck it will probably be the highlight of Discovery's Shark Week! What a waste!

Carolyn:shark2:

Last edited:
I apologize Steve, I thought it was this mornings news. Mods merge this post if you can.

Once again

My apologies

No apologies necessary. Chit happens. I figured you would enjoy the reading in those threads because there is some interesting ideas and banter going on.

The three divers were on Good Morning America. They stated that they did not want to kill the shark and that it kept coming back with increasingly aggressive behavior. They seemed genuine in their feelings that they did not want to kill the shark.

That said, I would have gotten out of the water and left rather than kill the animal but there is always more to a story.

N

More than likely, they have had feedback from those that didn't find their shark killing so Macho He Man like!

The proof is in all the pics and video they took, yknow, the whole 2 hours worth. Sorry, but they can cry me a river all they want. I ain't biting off a piece of their 15 seconds of BS.

Carolyn:shark2:

And the glorification and 15 seconds of fame on national broadcast by the dimwitted host will have every yahoo out to kill a shark with his bare hands for a you tube video, regardless of the circumstance with this "killing" that does appear to be unwarranted.

N

So what they are saying they panicked and became feaful and yet the shark had not attacked them but was just posturing a bit. Its a confession of being what is called a kook. Completely ignorant of shark behavior and quick to kill it without it striking once.

I think they should have made calmly for the ladder and on its passby climb before it turns around again. No saying it was about to strike.

Sharks can sense muscle tension via the electrical activity of the ion channels (signal of distress) thats why its important to stay calm. I need to learn more about this.

Im sure now they feel bad after coming to their senses on land.

When we dove with blue sharks they kept circling us and even bumping into us and at one time got caught between my buddies legs (it was declared incedental contact and offsetting penalites voided the need for any other action but more video footage).

Its a shame we have people like this diving.

Back
Top Bottom