DAN Programs

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Aquatic Eagle

Contributor
Scuba Instructor
Divemaster
Reaction score
# of dives
500 - 999
DAN has so many good programs regarding dive accidents and safety. I'm wondering why DAN hasn't written its own CPR/1st Aid course. Since some of their courses require CPR/1st Aid wouldn't it make sense for them to have a course that certifies CPR and 1st Aid?

My guess is that they haven't because there's already so many good courses out there. Unless their course would be lots better than the others, it would just be duplicated effort.

I've had first aid/ CPR training many times over the years. American Red Cross, Military First Aid training, and most recently, NAUI (as part of Rescue certification). They were all good, but the first aid training in the military and the NAUI first aid course were the best ones I've attended. Of course, the quality of the instructor has a lot to do with the quality of the course.

DAN BLS programs is CPR and First Aid. I took the BLS Pro with AED course last year and it covered first aid, CPR and AEDs. It was a good program. I took the red cross program many years ago and found the DAN program to be just as good.

I know about the BLS program but isn't that more of a professional rescuer level CPR? Many courses only require a basic adult CPR so I guess that's what the question was more aimed towards.

From the DAN website:

This program also addresses basic life support skills for adults, children and infants.

Skills learned in this program that set it apart from lay-provider level CPR courses include:

two-person CPR;
ventilation using a bag valve mask;
finger sweep;
suctioning;
cricoid pressure; and
the technique for caring for an unconscious choking victim.

The course teachs the basics, plus a few other things. It is geared towards Dive Professionals, but even the above skills I would think are basic enough everyone should know them.

I teach the DAN BLS course (and all their others) It's a good program but is as stated above an advanced program. I also teach the AHA and ASHI programs, the AHA heartsaver program is a more basic level and they also have a first aid program available as part of their heartsaver program.

If money is an issue or you need a quicker class then the AHA program would be a good choice.

For dive professionals of any level I prefer that they take the DAN BLS or AHA BLS courses- they need the extra knowledge and practice.

Taught red cross many years ago and got away from them because of the one year expiration on the CPR cards, not familiar with what they have available now.

From the DAN website:

This program also addresses basic life support skills for adults, children and infants.

Skills learned in this program that set it apart from lay-provider level CPR courses include:

two-person CPR;
ventilation using a bag valve mask;
finger sweep;
suctioning;
cricoid pressure; and
the technique for caring for an unconscious choking victim.

The course teachs the basics, plus a few other things. It is geared towards Dive Professionals, but even the above skills I would think are basic enough everyone should know them.

That's sound equivalent to ARC's CPR for the Professional Rescuers course or at least what it used to be when I was still teaching.

But does the BLS course actually certify students with those credentials? Is it recognized by anyone other than DAN and dive agencies?

Does the DAN BLS program satisfy the 1st Aid and CPR requirements for rescue/leadership certification?

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom