Spearfishing

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

_Kurt_

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
100 - 199
I see there is no spearfishing section. Is this frowned upon? I have been diving off and on for almost 20 years and have just decided to try spearfishing. Are spearfishermen the bastard children of SCUBA?:wacko: I look forward to your replies.
Kurt

Unfortunately, yes. Spearfishing is the most ecologically sound method of harvesting food fish, yet many divers regard it as rape of the ocean while eating fish caught in nets that scoop up everything in their paths. It's certainly not logical.

Post your spearfishing tips, questions, etc in Basic SCUBA Discussions.

Is that like animal rights activists sitting down to a steak dinner?
;-)

I must say the first time I witnessed spearfishing underwater I was shocked as that sort of thing is totally illegal here in Ireland. However I think it's a relatively kind way of killing fish. At least they usually die quickly.
Normal fishing is quite cruel I think, especially if the fishermen don't bother killing the fish right away and the poor thing is gasping in a bucket somewhere for hours.

although i do not spearfish and am no particular fan it does seem clear to me that it is potentially the most ecologically correct way of fishing as you consciously select an appropriate target and avoid any bycatch. however, given the drastic decline of all the big game fish i don't believe in spearing large fish just for their value as trophies. if you kill them, eat them.

I think the biggest hang-up with spearfishing maybe the gore factor. Although ecologically much better than using a net, it is much less appealing visually.

Like with most matters of hunting/fishing, this is a personal decision. Although, I'd probably rather not be in the water at the time....in case some other predator decided to take aim at me.

I have one of my dad's hand-me-down spearguns, and I've really wanted to give it a try. Around here we are allowed to spearfish rough fish - carp, suckers, that sort of thing. I would really like to try and get a couple of carp sometime...it sounds like it would a lot of fun.

annie once bubbled...
Normal fishing is quite cruel I think, especially if the fishermen don't bother killing the fish right away and the poor thing is gasping in a bucket somewhere for hours.

I am also a catch-and-release fly fisherman. I believe in catch-and-release as a method of preventing the more crouded streams from getting fished out. But when possible, I love nothing more than catching and cooking and eatting fresh wild trout. However, like the quote above, the PETA people think catch and release fishing is the cruelest because you torture the fish, then release it to torture it again and again. Oh, brother... a fish has a brain the size of a pea, doesn't even have enough conscious awareness to know it even exists, and only responds to stimulous in a manner that we humans love to interpret as a human feeling and emotion. It's not about the fish we spear, it's about our own dignity and respect for nature expressed in the manner we go about it.

Well said. I eat what I harvest when I hunt, and plan on only doing the same when spearfishing. I appreciate all your input, positive or negative. Thanks.
Kurt:D

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom