Open Pit Mine Diving?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Warhammer

Reaction score
A friend of mine called me tonight wanting me to go with him and check out an open pit mine that he has recently obtained permission to dive. It's an old Benonite mine. My question is does anyone know of a reason not dive in an abandoned Benonite mine? Health concerns, contamination? Should I get the health department to do a workup on the water first? Benonite is a natural clay that's used in road construction for something or other, not quiet sure what. I don't really see it being any different from diving a limestone quarry, but thought I'd ask anyway.

Greg,

Benonite is also the basic ingrediant in oil field drilling fluid, commonly called "mud".

IMHO, there would be no problems associated with diving an open pit mine of this nature. Stay off the bottom and avoid the silt.

Shoot, if you can dive in that, you could probably dive in stock tanks as well. Consider this your training dive.

ID

I've also heard that its used to seal ponds when the underlying soil won't hold water. These ponds are used for water for livestock and after filtration water for household use. Seems like it should be safe for diving unless there other compounds in the water for some reason.
Let us know what its like if you dive there.

"Strip" is the operative word here - I assume there are no tunnels... right?
Rick

That was my opinion as well, but 2 heads are better than one, so I thought I'd ask. :)

Training dive? I hear ya! And no caves that I know of. Not even sure how deep it is. But there is suppose to be an old crane in it, so at least we'll have something to look at. It's been abandoned for years so maybe the vis won't be too bad.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom