Oriskany Dive Plans

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

flareless

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
100 - 199
A group of divers from my club are heading down to Oriskany mid April. Most of us will be diving Tec but there are also a few Rec guys. We'd like to make some dive plans for the ship. I've got a copy of the ship layout from MBT and we sort of know what we'd like to do, however, I'm interested in hearing from people who have had some good Tec dives on Oriskany, particularly what they did.

Our group ranges from newer Tec guys a little harder on their air and very experienced, long time divers. We plan to set up teams whereby each group will get an excellent dive consistent with their abilities.

Any info that anyone could provide would be greatly appreciated. Thanks!

Anyone? Anyone?

One of my most enjoyable dives to date was a dive on the Oriskany.

We dropped to the flight deck and proceeded forward towards the bow on the starboard side of the ship. About 25-30' fore of the tower and ~20' below deck level is a large opening to the hanger deck. We entered the ship there and swam to the centerline at ~170' heading towards the stern.

While inside the hanger deck, you can view the "mineshafts" that were used for the sinking along with many other remnants left over. We swam the centerline and veered left so that we could exit at the rear aircraft elevators. We exited at the elevators, and turned towards the bow.

Since the current generally flows from the stern to the bow, this means you simply drift towards the tower structure.

We did our deeper deco stops while checking out the tower, then headed up the line.

If the seas are anything but flat, make sure you have a jon-line for deco. The line can get crowded, and the current can be moving pretty good.

I would *not* stage deco gas anywhere on the ship - The current is strong enough that getting blown off is possible. A lift bag etc is 100% required for the same reason, along with sound and any other signaling devices.

I was diving my CCR on 14/33, and was using double 80's for bailout (EAN27 and EAN60). My OC buddy was carrying EAN24 in BG, EAN50 and 100%. We planned for 170'/20 and ended up at 165ish for 20'.

By the way - This same dive now would be at 175-180 feet since the ship has sunk a little further into the sand from the last hurricane.

b.

My only 'input' is that I'm jealous. :p

That sounds like a terrific plan Brock. Thanks for sharing!

Did you not have to run lines for the penetration?

That sounds like a terrific plan Brock. Thanks for sharing!

Did you not have to run lines for the penetration?

No lines needed. We stayed in the hanger deck the entire time, and it's well, um, big enough to park airplanes in :wink:

But seriously - On entry, you can see a huge exit on the port side, and swimming the centerline keeps you well oriented, with a few possible exits.

b.

Outstanding! Thanks again for the info. Our group plans on making a similar dive.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom