1st Ice Dive

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

bill-da-ho

Reaction score
# of dives
0 - 24
Did my first Ice dive today,,, was pretty cool, had some equipment problems tho, well, not so much equipment as I was thinking that I normally dive with a 3 mil wet suit, thought for the ice dive, I'd need heavier,, well, I got with my LDS that was putting on the dive, he said I should try it with my 3 mil, but I said no,, I want the heavier suit, so we put together what he had for me to use,, a 5 mil farmer john, and a 7 mil top.. oh no, it was way to tight, same size as my three mil, but way to snug,, I couldnt breath,, so, the dive only lasted between 10 and 15 minutes,, was pretty cool tho,, I didnt get deep cuz I just didnt seem to have enough weight, had 34 pounds on, usually go with 16 on my 3 mil.. it was an experience tho,, I am goin back out tomorrow,, with the 3 mil. The only place I had any cold feeling was at my right wrist, not enough to bother me, but I could feel it.. the water was 38 degrees..
We'll see how it goes tomorrow. Anyone out there ever ice dive with a 3 mil?

Ummm...no I have never done an ice dive with a 3mm wet suit.

If you do, the most important piece of equipment you will use will be a piece of string about 6" long that you will have to use to pull a certain cold averse piece of your anatomy back out from where it will retreat.

Two words - DRY SUIT.

Ummm...no I have never done an ice dive with a 3mm wet suit.

If you do, the most important piece of equipment you will use will be a piece of string about 6" long that you will have to use to pull a certain cold averse piece of your anatomy back out from where it will retreat.

Two words - DRY SUIT.

:rofl3::rofl3::rofl3:

Are you sure about the 6" part?

Warm up your 16 pounds of lead weight in hot water and wrap them around your neck, that will keep you warm for a while in a 3 mil :wink:

Pretty cool. I would like to try it some time. Missed it this year I think though. 38 in a 3mm I've done that in a 7mm and was ok but got cold at the end. Dry now no problems.

.. the water was 38 degrees..

We'll see how it goes tomorrow. Anyone out there ever ice dive with a 3 mil?

I use a 3mm all the time, and my last dive had snow on the ground. Water temp was...looking it up... 36F. Of course, it's a 3mm neoprene drysuit, and when it gets that cold, I wear fleece underneath it.

You may not survive a dive in that temperature water with that limited protective gear. Best case, you will end up with a very, very short dive. The thicker suit will feel more restrictive, but that's the nature of the suit. More rubber = less moving. I had flexibility problems with my 7mm drysuit, which is why I use the thinner one.

The thicker rental may not be the right size for you. If it doesn't feel right in the store, it won't somehow get better at the dive site or at 50'.

The very thought of getting in water that cold in ANY wetsuit, let alone a 3 mil, makes me want to get in the hot tub immediately. My dive in that suit wouldn't MAKE ten minutes :)

When we ice dive most of us are dry but some have dove wet.
Always in at least a 7MM suit and most with vests or shorties to add to the insulation.

Our ice dive average about 10 - 12 minutes, even when diving dry water temps of 32 degrees cut the dives short.

6 inch string dont seem long enuf,, (hey, its my story)
The wet suit was the exact same size as my 3 mil, id I had to dive in a 7 mil again, I wouldnt do it,
The 3 mil wet suit dive tomorrow will be 20 minutes at best, shorter if I get to cold. Tho, I did not feel the cold today at all, only on my wrist like I said, not even around my mouth or face witch were of course bare. I'll post again tomorrow to let ya's know how it came out ( and I'm not talkin about with the string)
Bill

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom