Dive Report: Destin Jetties 3-14-2009

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

MRXRAY

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
OOOOOOOOOHHHHHH, I'm chomping at the bit to get this report in....... I met up with Hetland, SeaYoda, and Pufferfish at the Destin Jetties today. Although it was a bit overcast the Seas were kind and surf was minimal behind the Jetties. Hetland and I splashed a bit early as the SeaYodas Land Yacht made a couple of trips to the cars. We hit the water at 11:00 for our first dive and the gods of Viz were pretty nice, as the conditions were at around 20 feet. There was a surprising number of reef fish scurrying around, which was a pleasant surprise considering the water temp was still at 68*. The water felt nice after the walk of pain from the cars. We made our way down the jetty to the box and tied in our dive flag, then made our way along the rocks. We all noted that the rocks were covered in a soft spongy material that looked like sand but felt like sponge, Alex noted that the minnows were eagerly eating this material which is probably why we don't see it in the spring. Hetland and I made our way slowly down the rubble stopping about every 6 inches or so to take pictures.... I ended up with 275 total of which 125 were worthy of the archives. Here are some of the better ones!

P3142523.jpg

P3142529.jpg

P3142545.jpg

P3142547-2.jpg

P3142560.jpg

I love this one:
P3142578.jpg

P3142607.jpg

My favorite type of crab....One eating a Jelly!
P3142612.jpg

P3142651.jpg

P3142677.jpg

P3142673.jpg

As you can see there were a ton of Blennys out. They were a bit camera shy from not seeing many divers, but with a little aptience you could get some nice pictures!
Dive 1 was a max depth of 53 feet for 67 minutes temp was 68*.

OK, I can't hold back anymore!!!!! I finally saw a shark!!!!! It wasn't but maybe 15 minutes into the first of two dives when I did a cursory glance around the sand below and in front of us when I noticed a low and slow moving shadow.....I must investigate I thought. I hadn't made it more than 10 feet when I saw it, definitely a Shark, I started screaming through my regulator for Alex to come but he never heard my beckoning calls so I headed on myself. The shark was moving away at a slow pace and as I got close enough I switched to video mode on my camera and got the short clip below. As I moved in closer I suddenly saw another shadow appear from under the shark and it came straight toward me and Flared it's gills......A big Cobia? I about pooped myself! I managed to get just a bit more video as all of us retreated in different directions. I went back to tell Hetland and we rushed head on like Fireman into a fire to see if we could get another couple of shots, we went all the way to the anchor, but no luck, they were gone. All that was left is the memory, some video, and a small smear in my bathing suit!

Now I edited the video and attached a darker image with a still slide into the production as you can barely see the sahrk in the first/original video. No idea though on the type. Any thoughts?

Great stuff XRay! Each shot better than the last! I don't think mine turned out as well, but I'll post what I got tomorrow.

-h

The second dive was much of the same minus the shark, splash time was 1305, max depth of 54 feet for 52 minutes! SeaYoda joined us for dive #2 and we made it around the corner as the current was slack.

Holy Smokes...the many, many times I have been to the Jetties and no shark. You go and Bam, a shark shows up. Glad you got a little video. Barry, GREAT macro shots! Good job!

Holy Smokes...the many, many times I have been to the Jetties and no shark. You go and Bam, a shark shows up. Glad you got a little video. Barry, GREAT macro shots! Good job!

Thoughts on Shark type?:confused:

Sandbar is possible...it is hard to see clearly but the tail also looks like it could be a Bull Shark...and we have plenty of those around.

Thoughts on Shark type?:confused:

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom