Papua New Guinea on Star Dancer...what should it cost all together?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

ewaiea

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
200 - 499
I have posted a similar thread about airfare to different south Pacific destinations but I'm really focused in now on PNG, I want to go there during April/May of 2010. I can't search airfares that far out but currently for this year airfare is running about 2200 just to get to Port Moresby - I still have to hop a flight to get to Hoskins which is where I would meet the boat in Walindi on Kimbe Bay. Plus there's probably going to be a couple of places where I have to stay in a hotel on the way there in Australia or Singapore (depending on connection city), and also Port Moresby.

My question is....just how much should the final tab be once airfare is calculated. What do most of you PNG veterans think is a "relatively" decent price. The cost of the trip on a nine night itinerary is $3500, what have most of you spent in the way of flights plus hotel bills on the way (keep in mind I have no interest in staying in a hotel any longer than I need to - I'd like to avoid it all together but I heard that it's not advisable since luggage can get lost and you may need time for it to catch up to you).

Please help......I'd very much appreciate it :confused:

Also, is it possible to ship your gear to Walindi via FedEx or some other reputable carrier so that way you only have to tote your carry-on items (camera and a few sets of light clothes..)??

Hi ewaiea,

I wouldn't ship anything ahead of time, especially cameras. It will likely cost you a fortune and the term 'reliable' is relative when you're talking about PNG. I've looked into doing that many times for my workshops and it just never worked out. You'll be lucky if your stuff shows up and you will have problems with customs.

Air Niugini is sometimes very good about carry-ons and baggage in general. Other times they can get really pissy. Luck of the draw. Even if what you're bringing is a little over the limits, you're much better off to carry it with you. If they tell you its too heavy or too big, worst case they'll make you check it at the gate and you'll still have a much better chance of it showing up at your destination with you. The first time I flew with my porter case full of cameras I thought I was going to get arrested, next trip I carried it on without incident. It weighed 45#.

For the air fares that far out you might try calling a travel agent who has a lot of experience in selling PNG. I would recommend you talk to Donna at South Pacific Island Travel. She's got lots of experience in PNG and good prices on flights. She should be able to give you a rough idea of the cost of travel there during that time. The PHD office should be able to give you this info too, but comparison shopping is good.

Always consider safety when traveling to a country like this. PNG is about as primitive as a place can get. I guess that's why I love it so much! You're going to LOVE the Star Dancer!

Bonnie

Call Walindi and ask them, they should give you as straight of an answer as possible. They live where you want to go and have many of the problems each week with people in and out of New Britain. They know what works and doesn't work because when traveling there you will need good advice. As one who has been there I can now say that one reason more people don't travel there is because it can be a hasstle. Is it worth it...YES, I certainly would say it is worth it.
IMG_0690.jpg

IMG_0435.jpg

IMG_0414.jpg

PNG143.jpg

I just got back from a month diving the south shore of New Britain with Alan and the FeBrina. That price is not that bad. Consider what you would pay ANYWHERE for
1. hotel stay
2. five dives a day (75.00 per dive?)
3. 3 big meals a day
4. 3 hot snacks a day
5. Endless good wine with dinner
6. travel from site to site
7. endless pampering and gear handleing

and so much more....

Airfares vary. You might try the new airline starting ops there. Virgin, is it?

PNG is not the cheapest destination, but I think it is best

wIMG_4352.jpg

w108_5911.jpg

w108_3941.jpg

w108_3412.jpg

As for the Star Dancer, I had dinner in Rabaul with Peter Hughes. Although he no longer owns the boat, he is still managing her. She was in drydock getting a MAJOR facelift. I bet she will be looking really nice!
I hope you go, you will not regret it!

PNG is expensive, certainly more expensive than Indo which is a relative bargain. A couple things worth looking into. If you've accumulated miles on any airline, it's possible to get to and from Australia using miles with the airline's partners. Alternatively, you could use miles to get to Singapore, Tokyo or Hong Kong, which are potential gateways to PNG. If you can't use miles to get to one of the gateways, airfares to Australia from the US are under pressure now that Virgin Australia has entered the market and with Delta planning to do so shortly. At the moment, it's possible to fly from the west coast to Australia for under $1k. If you fly into Brisbane, the new Virgin Pacific airline can get you to Port Moresby much more cheaply than Air Nugini. I think you can do a rountrip BNE-POM-BNE for around $250. Then you only need Air Nugini for the intra-PNG flights. Incidentally, Air Nugini's website offers rates significantly below what any travel agent can offer. Using the website cut the cost of travel, Cairns-Port Moresby-Hoskin/Rabaul-Port Moresby-Cairns, from $3000 to $2000 for my family of three. Nothing you can do to reduce the costs of StarDancer unless you can go this year while they're offering discounts.

Thank you for your reply reubencahn, I'm going to be going on the Kona Aggressor in late July or early August of this year since it's a short flight from where I live in Honolulu. Next winter I'm still debating whether I'll do PNG on Star Dancer or go to Palau on the Palau Aggressor. It seems like Palau's reefs are pretty lush and have much more macro life than I've ever seen along with large pelagics which I get the impression PNG has more macro life but less pelagics. Either trip would be a dream but Palau might be a bit more economical to get to. Is there a way to fly to PNG from Honolulu that any of you think I could avoid an overnight on the way there to cut down on hotel costs? I am pretty sure I could do that with Palau since I just have to layover in Guam but not too sure about PNG....

Still lots to consider but I think the money and convenience are going to eventually win out......any opinions or advice would be much appreciated.

Next winter I'm still debating whether I'll do PNG on Star Dancer or go to Palau on the Palau Aggressor. It seems like Palau's reefs are pretty lush and have much more macro life than I've ever seen along with large pelagics which I get the impression PNG has more macro life but less pelagics.

I can't speak to Palau. It's still on my wish list. But we chose StarDancer and Kimbe Bay over Spirit of Niugini and Milne Bay in part because it's reputed to have a pretty good balance of big and small stuff. If you want big stuff and you're travelling in our winter, I would try and get on one of the Golden Dawn's Eastern Fields trips. It's reputed to be an amazing trip and the Golden Dawn is a great boat, my favorite liveaboard so far.

Either trip would be a dream but Palau might be a bit more economical to get to. Is there a way to fly to PNG from Honolulu that any of you think I could avoid an overnight on the way there to cut down on hotel costs? I am pretty sure I could do that with Palau since I just have to layover in Guam but not too sure about PNG....

Both Qantas and Jetstar (Qantas' low cost subsidiary) fly HNL-BNE, and it may be possible to connect immediately to either Virgin Pacific or to Air Nugini without an overnight. But I really wouldn't let that be the determining factor. These trips cost a fortune. In the scheme of things, a $100 overnight is pretty meaningless. Every time that I've tried to save some relatively small amount on one of these trips, it's ended up adding huge inconveniences or other unexpected costs. I think it's best to just decide where you most want to go and do it. None of this will be around in another 20 years.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom