Boracay Diving

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

sharkbait98

Registered
Reaction score
# of dives
500 - 999
Hi, I am currently looking into booking a dive vacation to Indo and Philipppines and I was wondering if anybody could give me some information regarding the quality of diving in Boracay. I have been to Cabilao Island off of Bohol (by the way, stay at Polaris Dive Resort-awesome place) and the diving was superb. I have also been to Savedra which is on the south-west side of Cebu and the diving was "ok". So I am wondering where Boracay fits into things.

I anxiously await your response.

Sharkbait98:)

I learned to dive in Boracay in 2002.
<50 dives, Boracay is OK.
50-100 dives Boracay is OK, try nearby Crocadile Is.
100> Boracay is not that challenging, or interesting.
>100 try Puerto Galera, Anilao, Cebu, or Bohol.

I would say suitable for beginners up to 20 dives, limited options / boring thereafter, its also expensive overall, but what a beach! Wind can be a problem (both seasons)

PG has much more variety and is surely up there with the best. Cant wait to get back there in June!

Hi Kosmonooit,

Thanks for the reply. I have been to Bohol and found Polaris Dive Resort (off of Cabilao) to be a place you want to go. I am from Canada and getting information from the other side of the world can be challenging so I appreciate your input. Thanks again.

Sharkbait

I'd say do four dives in Boracay; Yapak, Camia Wreck, Channel Drift and Crocodile Island and you're done. What's left to do? sip a nice mango shake watching the sunset. It's a party place too.

You'd want to take a look at Dauin, Apo Island, Malaspascua and Sogod Bay in Southern Leyte; all in the Visayas.

If you are just wanting to go to Boracay and hang out in a tourist area then that is "ok" for diving. If you want to go to Boracay and mix it up then I suggest you spend a couple of days in our neck of the woods. We offer something different (awesome diving) that is very laid back and not crowded with tourists (or the sideshows associated with that). GIve me a PM if you need details. Boracay offers a non-stop party atmosphere but it does come at a cost. Now, hurry up and get those plane tickets!!!

Listen to the above advice. After living on Boracay for over a year, these replies pretty much sum it up.

Never mind the scuba, I would also say the partying aspect of Boracay is way over rated as well, however no shortage of posers! Lots of bars with blearing music but only a few takers. Personally nothing hit the spot from me, but thats coming from an Ibiza veteran lol. The only place I would recommend is Jonahs for shakes and snacks. Also Crystal Sands is a nice central place to stay. And New Wave diving is good.

The over-development there is hectic: I been there four times over the last three years, its just getting worse and worse. Why there is even a petrol station now.

But its easy and quick to get in and out of from Manila, and its a good intro to Phils for a 1st timer.

The over-burdening construction and taxing of the infrastructure is just too much for the area. It will implode. Then all of the would-be Boracay goers can just go to our place.....see, a diamond in every pile of poop!

I'd say do four dives in Boracay; Yapak, Camia Wreck, Channel Drift and Crocodile Island and you're done. What's left to do? sip a nice mango shake watching the sunset. It's a party place too.

I would add Camia 1 and 2 on the list also.

Crocodile Island is nice as long as the current is friendly. I dove there with a strong current (the DM said it was ok! :shakehead:). I was a newbie and it was my first out-of-town dive without my usual Anilao dive buddies. It was like watching an underwater movie on fast-forward while you're trying not to slam on the corals. I got separated with the DM pa (Scarriest 10 seconds of my life) :shocked2:. Bad trip! :depressed:

So when I went back, I dove Crocodile again (minus the current).. Maganda naman pala. :blinking:

Back
Top Bottom