Do certain colors attract predators?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

bill_bain

Contributor
Reaction score
I'm still diving with a Manta BC that is orange and yellow (yeah, I know, how "1980's", but hey, it'll still hold air for weeks and it's paid for!). My son, a a newly minted diver insists that he was told that yellow attracts barracuda and is pretty insistent that I get "something black" before we go diving again.

I can't say in 30+ years of diving I've ever heard of any colors being more or less of an attractant, except that 'cuda like bright shiny things. Has he been "fed a line"?

Yup, he has been fed a line.
The diving industry is in a 'black is better' sort of mood lately. I prefer black, but there is nothing wrong with color(as long as it isn't pink)
Different groups have done studies as to which colors seem to attract predators. Long story short, they always seem to have conflicting data. I think that's probably because sharks and 'cudas could give a damn what color their meals are. But, shiny objects, on the other hand, seem to make them curious as hell. That being said, bright colors are more visible, so your buddy can see you better in bad vis. Colors are just fine in the water, and if your son is really that worried about your safety, he can go buy you a nice, new, black BC :D

yes, yellow does draw animals, no they are not predators.

I have been diving bright yellow fins for years, they have attracted small reef fish, for example Tangs and Butterflies. I have even had a Honu (aka. Green Sea Turtle) chomp one once. But in 10+ years of diving with sharks, whales, barracuda, jacks, and plenty of other predators, I have not once seen yellow attract anything remotely harmful. Really if yellow drew predators, small fry critters would bolt, not swim with me.

Shiny objects on the other hand can draw barracuda. Primarily jewelery, necklaces, bracelets and the like. But then, they have to be aggitated or in feeding mode to come to you in the first place, normally they see you as an invaders and give you plenty of space. So keep your jewelery tucked into your wetsuit and don't feed, touch, harass the wildlife. Remember the saying "Take only pictures, leave nothing but bubbles"

yes, yellow does draw animals, no they are not predators.

I have been diving bright yellow fins for years, they have attracted small reef fish, for example Tangs and Butterflies. I have even had a Honu (aka. Green Sea Turtle) chomp one once. But in 10+ years of diving with sharks, whales, barracuda, jacks, and plenty of other predators, I have not once seen yellow attract anything remotely harmful. Really if yellow drew predators, small fry critters would bolt, not swim with me.

Shiny objects on the other hand can draw barracuda. Primarily jewelery, necklaces, bracelets and the like. But then, they have to be aggitated or in feeding mode to come to you in the first place, normally they see you as an invaders and give you plenty of space. So keep your jewelery tucked into your wetsuit and don't feed, touch, harass the wildlife. Remember the saying "Take only pictures, leave nothing but bubbles"
I agree, theres lots of stuff on the reef that tastes WAY better than cuda.

The kid is probably ashamed of you in the yellow/orange and is trying to get you to come up with the hard-earned to buy something more modern and in tune with the times. Do it and you won't regret it. As they say: "Black goes with anything."

According to your profile you live in my home town of Atlanta. I can assure you Barracuda are no threat in Atlanta, no matter what color your gear is.:D

Yep, much bigger threats in Hotlanta.
By the way, Cool new avatar!

I think Myth busters did something on that recently didn't they? i seem to recall that yellow was the only colour that caused reactions in reef sharks here on New Providence. But i also recall it was hardly conclusive.
Certainly the local instructors joke that yellow fins get more attention.

For your interest (rather than relevance), they more recently filmed a piece just off Clifton pier (dog's getting attacked by sharks) where a year or so before, on AOW my instructor was hit by a 5' Barry whilst we were talking through a Nav exercise at the surface. Got'im right on the SS d'ring. Nasty buggers.
We laughed............

Yes!! Color can attract predators. The color of money the flash of jewelry will attract attorneys....I'm sorry, did you say predators or attorneys.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom