LA, MS, AL, FL - In Area March 28th and 29th

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

scubajb

Reaction score
Hey,
I am traveling to Lafayette, LA for business and expect to be free the weekend of the 28th and 29th. Couple of questions if you don't mind...

1. Is the Big "O" a good dive site this time of year? Temperature, current, etc.?
2. Coming from LA, where would be the best place to dive out of (i.e. Pensacola, Gulf Shores AL, etc.???)
3. What other sites would be good to look at this time of year in the area?

Figured if I'm in the area and the conditions permit, I'd like to splash at least one day. Any help would be appreciated!

Thanks!!!
Jim

To dive the O, leaving out of Pensacola is your closest shot. But with the speed some of the boats from other cities, the 'drive' time is about the same. I hear Gary with gulfdiver.net has a fast boat.

You might also see about going out to the YDT Navy ships, excellent dive!

What are the YDT Navy ships and are those located out of Pensacola as well? I've heard a lot about the O but I'm open for a wreck of any type! :)

Gulf Shores/Orange Beach is actually closer than Pensacola as far as a starting point. There are litterally thousands of reefs out in the Gulf adjascent to Mobile/GulfShores/Orange Beach/Pensacola. Wrecks include the Oriskany, Massachusettes(Battleship), YDTs, Liberty Ships, numerous tugs, couple warplanes, barges, tanks, etc. Older stuff like the Brass Wreck are favorites for some. Lots of people like the Russian Freighter(San Pablo). There's a ton of stuff to dive out of the area.

Thanks for the info. If you were coming from South LA for a day or two, what would you dive? I like wrecks and reefs, rescue certified, not a tech diver...

Oriskany, Brass Wreck, YDTs, Navy Tug, maybe a dive on a Liberty Ship or two(I like the Wallace best, but the Allen usually has alot of life on it). *shrugs*

Another idea would be to do a two day weekend trip on the Spree or Fling to the flower gardens if space is available. From Lafayette the drive to Freeport TX is slightly shorter than the drive to Gulf shores and you will get a lot more dives in on a livaboard. Jus goolge MV Fling or Spree for details.

I looked into it but you have to be at the boat around 8:00 the night before. I probably won't be getting out of Lafayette until a little before then. Thank you, the dives look great especially with the hammerheads in the area!

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom