Bob Foster "Diving the wreck of The Portland"

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Reaction score
# of dives
I'm a Fish!
Diving the Titanic of New England

The Steamship Portland, lost with all hands in a devastating storm at the turn of the last century, was thought to be beyond the reach of scuba divers. In August of 2008, a group of Massachusetts divers pushed the boundaries of technical diving and visited this untouched wreck. Bob Foster will take you along on the first dives to the Portland, lost for almost 100 years after sailing into the ¡Èperfect storm¡É of November 26th, 1898. This elegant paddle-wheeler carried over 190 passengers and crew as it left India Wharf in Boston bound for Portland Maine, and was last seen as night fell off the coast of Cape Ann. The wreck was discovered in 1989 and positively identified in 2002, lying over 450 feet deep in what is now the Stellwagen Bank Underwater National Marine Sanctuary. Join Bob as he and his team become the first to visit the Portland in 110 years.

This presentation will be held March 19th at 8PM, at The Beverly Golf and Tennis Club, 134 McKay st, Beverly Mass. Social hour starts at 7 PM, there is a fine Italian Restaraunt and pub on site so come early and make an evening out of it.

IMHO, this is a presentation not to miss. Anyone that does any "typical" wreckdiving in our waters cannot help but to be impressed with the logistics and equipment required, as well as talent, experience and just plain old courage needed to plan and carry out dives to the depths that this team achieved. This is a story of an amazing group of divers from our neighborhood.

IMHO, this is a presentation not to miss. Anyone that does any "typical" wreckdiving in our waters cannot help but to be impressed with the logistics and equipment required, as well as talent, experience and just plain old courage needed to plan and carry out dives to the depths that this team achieved. This is a story of an amazing group of divers from our neighborhood.

The part that fascinates me is that they took all of this risk "for fun". We aren't talking about treasure hunters or commercial divers trying to earn a living.

Hopefully he will put on the presentation down in our area one day. Perhaps
we could do a joint Giant Stride/OCA sponsorship or something like that.

Hopefully he will put on the presentation down in our area one day. Perhaps
we could do a joint Giant Stride/OCA sponsorship or something like that.

It's my understanding that he will go where ever he is asked. I heard him a few months ago and it was very interesting. I was lucky enough to go along as crew and safety diver if needed on one of the Palmer/Crary dives. I didn't even get wet so I'm not implying that I was anywhere near "the dive" . . .essentially, I was just along for the ride. It was, in fact, a very interesting day. The Captain was amazing with dropping the shot line NEAR the wreck and not on it. The equipment handling and gas management that those guys did was daunting. It was extreme diving to say the least.

I was lucky enough to go along as crew and safety diver if needed on one of the Palmer/Crary dives.

RIO and I talked some last year about how incredible it was that those guys were doing 365' 'training' dives enroute to the Portland. Pretty amazing logistics! Very cool you were able to be a part of it...in ANY capacity!

ps, glad to hear you healed up well after the bike incident. Chris has been keeping us posted. Here's to a great '09 season!

RIO and I talked some last year about how incredible it was that those guys were doing 365' 'training' dives enroute to the Portland.

I love diving, but by the time you get that deep I'll change into my oceanographer hat and use an ROV. :D

As Dirty Harry once said, "A man has got to know his limitations."

No offense to the Portland team. But what RIO is about to do is even more dangerous way more tenacious.
No kidding Ed! Talk about taking a Plunge!! HaHa. I am sure Chris will be just fine...
right Chris?

No kidding Ed! Talk about taking a Plunge!! HaHa. I am sure Chris will be just fine...
right Chris?

everyone get ready for the "getting out of diving, just got hitched" sale!!!!!!! Just wait until there are little RIO's running (or is it floating) around! No no, Chris always has the "but honey, the diving is for work" line!!!! :D

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom