Drinking coffee or Red Bull before a dive?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

stanw

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
0 - 24
Is it a bad idea to drink Red Bull of coffee before early morning dives as long as you hydrate yourself on the boat with enough water?

Thanks.

I drink 1 or 2 coffees every morning. If that is your routine, then i would not change it just because you are going diving. Same with breakfast, especially on a boat. Going on a boat is stressful enough, don't try to add furrther stress by making big changes in your diet or habits on the morning of the dive.

Is it a bad idea to drink Red Bull of coffee before early morning dives as long as you hydrate yourself on the boat with enough water?

Thanks.

Not if you keep to sensible amounts. If you normally drink coffee or anything else then carry on as normal.

Obviously taking so much caffeine you're shaking isnt great for diving but for normal amounts there're no problems.

Not if you keep to sensible amounts. If you normally drink coffee or anything else then carry on as normal.

Obviously taking so much caffeine you're shaking isnt great for diving but for normal amounts there're no problems.
Heh, I'm the opposite. If I don't take caffeine I shake :wink:

I don't know, if it is bad for you. It is certainly bad for me, make me want to P under the water. :coffee:
If you aren't peeing you aren't hydrated.

About the only thing I change on dive days is getting up a lot earlier (to make the drive) and consuming more water.

I don't know, if it is bad for you. It is certainly bad for me, make me want to P under the water. :coffee:

Me too!!

I stopped drinking coffee on dive mornings after bouts of sea sickness. I have since switched to Red Bull and have never had a problem. It seems to be easier on my stomach

If you normally drink coffee, then that should be OK. But Red Bull, personally I would avoid. Not because the caffine, but the sugar. When I drink a Red Bull, I crash hard once the sugar wears off (I avoid Gatorade when diving for the same reason). For an energy fix, I prefer 5 Hour Energy. No crash and it tastes better. Have yet to try it before diving, but if I have one its in the afternoon and most of my diving is in the morning.

I am a normal coffee drinker. When I am diving, I will not drink a coffee before the dive. This is because Caffeine is a Diuretic. In Other words, caffeine produces urine. Production of urine causes a couple of things. It can lead to dehydration. Dehydration has been known to predispose one to DCS. Not saying that coffee will make you bent. Having the need to pee while underwater, can be quite uncomfortable, especially if you are wearing a drysuit and really can't do anything about it! (unless you have a pee valve)

Myself, I have to have a cup or two or I'm a real bear! Also, if I don't have a cup or a rock star I end up with a headache (a product of the caffine addiction I'm sure) I would rather pee than have a massive headache.IMO. My student's usually prefer me after a dose of my morning pick me up. I wouldn't reccomend a pot of coffee, but a cup or two shouldn't hurt.
DP

Back
Top Bottom