Advice on soreness after using Bio-Fins

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

kat.hayes

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
0 - 24
I am using Apollo Bio-Fins (never used any other type of fin) and I am not sure if I am incorrectly kicking or just not use to this type of movement with my legs and feet, though my ankles and feet are really sore after practicing in the pool. My hamstrings and calves are also sore, though that soreness seems more like the type of soreness expected from working out, whereas with my ankles and feet it seems like they are a different type of sore (not sure how to describe, maybe something like uncomfortable pains in my ankles after using them). I have been practicing with the fins for several weeks now. Is this normal after this amount of time? Is it likely I am not using them right?

Thanks for any suggestions.

Strange. I have been using those fins for a few years now and never had any issues. Military divers have been using those fins for extended swims due to their comfort.

Try using another set of fins and see if you are encountering the same issues. If so, it may be your technique rather than the fins.

What time of fin kick are you attempting? That could have some effect.

Get someone to look at your finning technique to see if anything obvious is amiss.

Borrow and try a different set of fins to see if the problem persists.

I had pretty much the same problem. Changed to Force Fins and the problem went away.

you're probably kicking too hard. I used to have this problem every spring when snorkeling. I learned to get more out of each kick without so much effort. And, be sure to stretch. When swimming, especially with fins, you are using muscles in a new and unique way.

Hi-

Part of your problem is that finning uses your legs differently than most of your land activities. Because you also use the upstroke for power it puts much more load on the hamstrings and Achilles tendons, which aren't shy about protesting.

Another part of the problem is that you're probably working too hard. I'll give you the same advice I give new cyclists: Press the pedals, don't push them. There's only a maximum force that you can apply to the fins to generate thrust. People think that more finning speed or force means more thrust, but that isn't the case.

Above a certain amount, additional effort only goes to create added turbulance and more reaction stress on your legs. It's akin to a boat captain reving his engines too fast. It cavitates the propeller, makes a big show, burns lots of deisel fuel and the boat goes maybe 2% faster than it did at lower rpm.

Likewise you want to find the most natural finning speed and style, and move harmoniously through the water rather than trying to shove it out of the way.

I am using Apollo Bio-Fins (never used any other type of fin) and I am not sure if I am incorrectly kicking or just not use to this type of movement with my legs and feet, though my ankles and feet are really sore after practicing in the pool. ........... I have been practicing with the fins for several weeks now. Is this normal after this amount of time? Is it likely I am not using them right?

Thanks for any suggestions.

I'm sure you will have a number of suggestions from board members who are diving with Bio-fins.

Have a look at some of the bio-fin video clips. They will give you a good idea of proper fining techniques.

Apollo Sports: Dive Gear

1: Buy yourself a pair of ScubaPro Jet Fins from Leisurepro for $70, and ditch the $165-$200 Bio Fins.

2: Learn non-silting kicking techniques, such as the frog kick, back kick, helicopter turn, and modified flutter.

3: ....

4: Profit.

Frog Kick:

Back kick:

Helicopter turn:

I'm sure you will have a number of suggestions from board members who are diving with Bio-fins.

Have a look at some of the bio-fin video clips. They will give you a good idea of proper fining techniques.

Apollo Sports: Dive Gear

The mistake I normally see is attempting to use just your ankles... as there is a kick with these fins that you can do, that is sort of like riding a small bicycle..using mostly the big leg muscles. And gear nut that I am, I have tried just about every fin.

Apollo fins are the best.

Back
Top Bottom