Jocassee Dive on 3.14.2009 Wall/Graveyard

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

amnstoner

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
200 - 499
All,

If you have not heard of it, or have ever considered going to Lake Jocassee for a dive, I would highly reccomend it. We spent Saturday there and had a great trip. We went out with Off The Wall Charters and even though it rained the entire day, Bill had inclosed the boat and even installed heaters! Bill did a great Job accomidatating the needs of our diverse group. We had three Divers on Rebreathers, 1 open circuit Trimix diver, and 2 recreational divers.

The first dive was on the "Junk Wall" the 4 technical divers were diving to 200+ while, the rest of us took advantage of the Chineese sailboat at 40 feet, and the wall to get some time at 130 feet.

After the tech guys did there 2 hour SI we headed over to the graveyard for our second dive. This dive alone would have been worth making the trip. Normally the Graveyard is at 145 feet but due to the drought last year the graveyard was currently at 115 feet. The Graveyard, is just that, a graveyard that was present in the river valley prior to Duke Power Flooding the valley. Most of the bodies were removed however some were left behind. There were several headstones and made for a very unique dive.

I would highly recomend OffthewallDiving to anyone who would like to see what Jocassee has to offer.

Safe Diving,

Water temps were in the low 50's, Viz was dependendt on depth. At 40 feet it was around 10 feet. At depth viz was closer to 15, but there was next to no ambient surface light. When we were on the wall at 130 it was basicly a night dive.

In jocassee the light is very dependent on the day. I've dove the graveyard with the lake at full pond around noon on a sunny day and didnt even need my light. However, I dove it last year at 119 and could barely see anything without the can light on.

Back
Top Bottom