Whiskey Wreck 3-17-9 Dive Report

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

SuPrBuGmAn

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
500 - 999
Shagman and I hit up the Whiskey Wreck today. The north winds knocked the surf back and the water looked great(albeit a bit choppy when we got there). The second sandbar was easily discernable from the beach through the emerald waters. Bahama Bobs was packed, but we lucked out with a parking spot. Spring Break is in full swing!

After gearing up and making the short walk to the water, we headed under. Neither of us had remembered a compass, so I just smelled my way to the wreck. We were ontop of her in less than 5 minutes after descending at the beach and swimming south. Water temperature was 68F(warm!) and visibility was in the 10-15' range. The bad news is the wreck is mostly covered. Its got two sections visible at the moment, one about 15' long and another just east about 25' long. At its highest, there was maybe 2.5' of relief and most of the relief was in the 1-2' range. There were 3-4 sheepshead swimming around and I managed to knock the scales off one, but without enough penetration to hold onto the fish.

Shagman started the dive with 1500psi, so we turned and ended the dive after 21 minutes. We had a max depth of 11'. There really wasn't enough life or wreck to keep our interest for much longer than that anyway.

Hit up Hooters for some grub afterwards, always fun! Paulwall must be bad luck :)

Mat, had fun as usual, and I enjoyed the dive, short as it may have been.

Reminds me that not everything out there is under the bottom of a freshwater spring :D

Wow, you found it? I thought you moved it!

Sucks there's not much left :(

Anyone been out to the whiskey lately? Plan on being in Gulf Shores in about 2 weeks and plan to see if we can locate it.

I want to do the Whiskey Wreck this summer. With a storm possibly brewing and moving towards the Gulf, shouldn't that uncover it some? Tim

It could possibly uncover it... or cover it more... or do nothing at all. :D

Right now the Whiskey is in about 6 fsw and almost completely covered. Not worth the effort.

Back
Top Bottom