Talk to me about Louisiana

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Kalatin

New
Reaction score
# of dives
0 - 24
My husband and I are moving to Fort Polk this summer from Seattle. I am an experienced diver, but have never been diving in the SE. In all likelihood, I will live somewhere within about 6 hours of Leesville rather than residing on post. So, here are my questions...
1. Is there any diving near Fort Polk?
2. Where would be the best options for a good dive community within 6 hours of Polk that also has a good job market?
3. What other tidbits can you tell me about moving to LA?

Thanks in advance,
Kate

My husband and I are moving to Fort Polk this summer from Seattle. I am an experienced diver, but have never been diving in the SE. In all likelihood, I will live somewhere within about 6 hours of Leesville rather than residing on post. So, here are my questions...
2. Where would be the best options for a good dive community within 6 hours of Polk that also has a good job market?

Thanks in advance,
Kate

1) Nearest would be the Flee/Spring out of Freeport, TX, other than some muddy lakes and rivers in LA. There is rig diving, but with a 4 hour drive and a 2+hour boat trip, it might not be worthwhile.

2)YIKES! Try Dallas or Terrell, TX they dive lakes and quarries S, and E of town.
We have a fairly strong dive community in southern LA, but we dive AL and FL (some dive locally, but not I).

3)Don't live in Louisiana, it's a carbuncle on the cloaca of America. Live in Texas - no state income tax, better roads, better schools, better job markets.

Thanks in advance,
Kate

This is crazy I made the opposite move 2 years ago from Louisiana to Seattle, though not with the military. If you spearfish or like trying different type of diving the rigs are great, lots of life and blue water (depending on the rig). Long ride, but there are charters that will take you out there.

It also depends on which direction 6 hours you are from leesville. I mean 6 hours is a long ways.

1. If 6 hours is no big deal you'll be around plenty of diving. For example if you drove another hour or so you'd be in Pensacola, FL., 6 hours the other way and youd be half way to mexico.

2. Plenty 6 hours is a long ways.

3. You will be in the 'country' in leesville. Oh and there's no public transporation.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom