SeaQuest Raider, pls let me know what you think about this BC

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Alex_Hurley

Reaction score
I am an advanced cold water diver (about 15 degrees), that focuses on wrecks and moderately deep dives Im quite new to diving and am just getting seriously into it (5 months). Im planning to buy my BC and regs very soon, so i was hoping i could get some advice about the BC that i am most interested in (i cant find any comprohensive reviews about it).

The SeaQuest Raider

is there anyone out there that has bought it or trialed it?

On the other hand are there any tech BC's you'd recommend instead that have read wings?

Cheers
Alex :mean:

Alex_Hurley once bubbled...
I am an advanced cold water diver (about 15 degrees), that focuses on wrecks and moderately deep dives Im quite new to diving and am just getting seriously into it (5 months). The SeaQuest Raider

On the other hand are there any tech BC's you'd recommend instead that have read wings?

Cheers
Alex :mean:

How can you be an advanced cold water diver but are new to diving? :confused:

Being that you are a coldwater diver and probably have to wear a fair amount of weight check into a BP/wing setup as it will help distribute some of your weighting. You can get backplates ranging from 6lbs, 9lbs all the way up to something like 18lbs now from fredt. You can also add a channel weight to your bp or a v-weight if your diving doubles(you didnt specify)

If you have no idea what a bp/wing is let me know and ill throw you some links. :D

Well i am quite new to diving, but i have an advanced rating as it was recommended to me to get it early in my development (as the interesting diving in my area is below 18m: wrecks). So i pretty much got my advanced rating just after my open water and never looked back.

Now back to my question :)

Yeah you are right about the weight im wearing a two piece 7mm, and about 12-13 kg weight on the hips. Im very keen to get weight intergrated / or something that gets it off my hips.
Please send me the links. All im really looking for is a really nice tech bc that gives me a few diving options in the future. I read a review about the raider that said the rear wings where a little large, but other than that was a great bc. I was hoping for something alittle more personable than that description, or at least some angle to look into other recommended quality BC's.

Cheers
Alex :wink:

Alex_Hurley once bubbled...
Well i am quite new to diving, but i have an advanced rating as it was recommended to me to get it early in my development (as the interesting diving in my area is below 18m: wrecks). So i pretty much got my advanced rating just after my open water and never looked back.
No offence Alex, but don't kid yourself (or let anyone else kid you) that holding an Advanced Open Water card makes you an advanced diver. That comes with lots of diving, experience, training, education and a side of humble pie.

The Sea Quest Raider is a very nice piece of equipment especially since they added teh new weight integration and did away with the velcro. It is extra comfy with lots of padding and should have more than enough lift for cold water diving unless maybe you are diving a huge set of doubles in a neoprene drysuit.

With that said I found a few down sides to it also. It is bulky....very very bulky. Don't plan on taking it on any dive trips to the caribbean or south pacific. Also it is not as stable as a backplate and wing with a single tank adapter. I am not sure if you get deep outdoors where you are but you may want check out their Matrix modular BC. I switched from the raider to the matrix and will never thing about going back.

Looks like a good BC but way over priced! I've seen it for as much as $800+ in a LDS. You would save money by going with a good BP and wing and have a much better and more versatile piece of gear.

I have recently purchased the SeqQuest Raider with the AirSource and crotch strap for $1100. I've made about 20 dives with the Raider, and I never experienced any problems with the BC. The Raider is bulky...but what can you expect for a Tec BC with that many features. You should have ample lift while wearing a two-peice 7mm and 24lbs of weight. I dive this setup frequently..no problems. The comfort of the Raider BC is un-matched by any Tech. BC that I have tried. The Raider doesn't rise or sag when properly adjusted to your size... the Raider feels like it has become an extention of your body.

Try it yourself... see what you think. Only you can decide if it's right for you.

Dive Deep, Dive Safe, Dive Often.

I was initially looking at the SQ Raider when purchasing my first bc (ended up going bp/wings route).

My AOW instructor has one.. guess she likes it okay, but the damn thing is heavy, both in and out of the water.

And the price sucks. My LDS has them for about $800. For that price you could get both single and dual tank bp/wing setups.

Just my .02.

-Brandon.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom