• Newbie - my gear is still brightly coloured and scuff free

Votes: 26 19.0%
  • Reasonable length of time - none of my gear matches any more

Votes: 24 17.5%
  • Quite a while - long enough to forget and relearn how to use tables

Votes: 45 32.8%
  • Long time - I remember when the first horse collar BCDs came in

Votes: 18 13.1%
  • Forever - I remember using double hose regulators!

Votes: 24 17.5%

• Total voters

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Rhone Man

Contributor
Scuba Instructor
Divemaster
Reaction score
# of dives
1000 - 2499
Inspired by a similar question in the Scuba chix forum...

I guess "newbie"...because I don't feel that I've been diving for "a reasonable length of time" yet :wink:

All my gear matches pretty well and my drysuit isn't faded yet. I have, however, worn out and had to replace a hood, a set of gloves, and a pair of wetsuit booties, so I guess that counts for something! :D

Got certified eight years ago last week ... logged about 2,250 dives since then ...

... Bob (Grateful Diver)

I still have my Royal Aquamaster double hose...doesn't work but still probably serviceable

First dive was in 1968.
I took many years off to raise my family and my lovely bride wanted no part of the ocean. Now, since my lovely bride discovered scuba diving in 2006, I've been back at it. She has close to 80 dives since November 2007! (I have had a few more. Shhh)

I would fit somewhere between quite a while and long time. When I started my training the horse collar BCDs were still in use and the big advancement was the jacket style. I remember diving without a computer or an octopus and my bc was bright orange and had a CO2 cartridge.

I've been certified 11 years, but skin dove for abalone before that for years. I honestly couldn't tell you how many scuba dives I have. I stopped counting at about 300 back when I was dong the divemaster thing. I don't see the point of logging dives anymore.

Long time I guess. A mere "babe" compared to many on this board however :D

I was 18 when certified, I'm 51 now.... one of my friends was very "high tech" and had a horse collar BC, the rest of my dive buddies were "sans" BC... and sans octopus... I was the 2nd-best equipted in our group, I had an SPG and a J-valve (the original redundant system :D ).

A few friends had double hose regs, and were not yet considered "vintage" :D

Last edited:
From my YMCA check out dives, 1970. I'm the one with the new fangled single hose reg next to my buddy with the traditional double hose set up.
oldscuba0002-1.JPG

No BCD's (just occasionally a CO2 operated May West vest for surface work-only thing available that was not jet black), no SPG's. Just humongous leg knives, black tunnel like masks on the foreheads, and Sea Hunt attitudes.

A Wanna-be Frogman at 17:goingdown:

It was a lot of fun, but wouldn't trade today's gear, training and experience to go back to no submersible pressure gage, just that horrid "J" valve for when you miscalculated your air consumption! And until you have dived with no buoyancy control it's hard to really appreciate the improvement that the deceptively simple BCD brought to the sport!

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom