Superferry shut down?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

L

Lopaka

Did the eco-freaks succeed finally in shutting down the Superferry? Just saw a reference to it elsewhere.:confused:

Actually the Hawaii Supreme Court did. They ruled that the law that the Legislature passed to allow the ferry to operate without having first completed the EIS was unconstitutional.

200+ Superferry employees are being laid off Friday, the second ferry is being leased to the Military, and I won't be taking my Gear to Maui anytime soon to dive.
Too bad.......

Geez, the "government" here rivals third world banana republics in chaos and unpredictability......

No wonder so few non-tourist oriented businesses work here.......

At least I got to ride the ferry once, not a bad trip. Kind of fun to drive on, drive off, all in your own car.

Just finish out the process . . .however long it may take to get that Environmetal Impact Report completed.

Gotta make sure no Humpbacks are in danger, like the Blue Whales getting mangled over here in SoCal. (Unfortunately, they stray into the path of the shipping lanes leading to two of the busiest ports in the world, Los Angeles and Long Beach Harbor. . . and Hundreds of Billions of Dollars in US import/export revenue. No eco-freaks will ever be able to persuade the California Supreme Court into shutting that commerce down. . .)

Last edited:
I find this news very sad - I've used the superferry on several occasions and was planning on using it again next month for a Maui trip ...

Personally I feel that even "if" the legislature acted wrongly in giving permission, it WAS given - so they should be the ones punished, not the superferry ... just my opinion which carries no weight whatsoever beyond the end of my own nose ...

Hopefully the superferry has been working on the EIS for the past two years and can finish it soon ... but this battle which keeps shutting them down has got to really hurt their customer confidence which is going to cost them financially in the long run should they start up again ... Which I'd be surprised at - Guess you have to be a glutton for punishment to try doing business in this state ...

btw - nice economic time to be putting 200 people out of work too :(

Aloha, Tim

Bad timing to be shutting down anything that is working and generating jobs. Also, I also feel it in the gut that the days of the Superferry are over, at least for a long time. In listening to the owner speak he sounded pretty upset over the matter and had no more fight in him.

...isn't the Obama administration giving themselves a pass on EIS for building projects?

Seems like maybe the superferry should try and get some *stimulation*.

Personally, I think overfishing is a bigger problem than the ferry route.

...but, hey, I like my ahi as much as anyone.

very sad indeed...not only do the ferry workers lose their jobs, but there were several companies that invested heavily in inter-island commerce based on the superferry (including buying special equipment that will be obsolete/unusable without the superferry). also, some of the smaller farmers were making a good living selling produce and using the superferry to transport it. this decision affected A LOT of people! :(

Back
Top Bottom