Durable gloves

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Reaction score
# of dives
25 - 49
I need a pair of gloves that will hold up to hard use against rocks and rock surfaces. Sound off on some of your better pairs.

Thanks!
Brian

Right now, I'm diving a pair of 5mm Akona gloves. They are a bit of a pain to get on and off, but so far, they are holding up quite nicely.

I think any of the thicker (5mm and 7mm) gloves would hold up pretty well to rocks and such. Of course, you wind up losing quite a bit of finger dexterity.

What water temperature are you diving in?

Sounds like you want some additional protection, say kevlar lined palms and fingers.

Need your additional input to give a better answer.

What sort of temperature are you diving in? If warmer water then anything that will hold up and is inexpensive (and not bought at a dive shop, online or otherwise) will be cheaper, and you won't mind replacing...if you're in cold water, then you could always get a pair of work gloves that would fit OVER your dive gloves and not worry if you mess up the work gloves...

Are you doing some sort of work, or having buoyancy issues?

Brian:

This is Bruce from SEASOFT, we make a lot of different gloves, do you need toughness and dexterity or just toughness? Do you need warmth and toughness? What is the water temperature?

KEVLAR is very tough yet you lose a little bit of dexterity because it does not stretch like DINA-HIDE for example. We make a glove with a thinner index finger and thumb for those that need more dexterity so to answer your question requires more information.

You might repost or reply to this post with more information like where you dive, the temperature, what you are going to do -hunt, photograph, work, etc. Have a great day.

Bruce

I recommend the Harvey's Dino Hide and put a slight coating of Home Depot tool dip on the tips.

I have made 3 mm gloves last for over 3 years in some harsh conditions with tool dip. They would have lasted longer but my can of tool dip dried out after 3 years on the shelf. The gloves are still good with just a slight hole. Make sure you stuff the glove finger tips though as the dip shrinks after drying.

Currently use 3 mil gloves. Meg teeth hunting off the east coast in low 60's to mid 70's. Thanks for all the replies, I've got some great ideas! Keep the posts coming.

Wear your 3mm gloves and get overgloves...either kevlar, leather palm work gloves or like someone said the cotton ones with the rubber palm.

Check out harbor freight.com - they have some great prices on lots of divverent types of gloves.

steve

Back
Top Bottom