Destin Fl

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Tank601

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
I'm a Fish!
I was planning a trip to Destin around Mid May - Memorial Day. Any good captains for a boat dive? Considering the two people that just got left out to sea on the news, I want to make sure that he is a reputable captain that can count:wink:

I've always used ScubaTech, who runs the SeaCobra. Its a cattleboat, but I don't really know of any 6 packs over there, so it does the job.

What can you keep if you find it? Shells, items..etc?

I've always used ScubaTech, who runs the SeaCobra. Its a cattleboat, but I don't really know of any 6 packs over there, so it does the job.

What can you keep if you find it? Shells, items..etc?

Empty shells (you can harvest occupied shells in some cases, but not worth it imho as empties are pretty abundant)

Anchors (don't drop it while your inflated though, unless you want a fast ride to the surface, and a long ride in a chamber)

Scuba gear (unless it's an XSscuba glove with my initials on it, or a brand new ProPlusII computer, or an slr housing, or a riffe spearspitter, or a 13cf pony bottle, or size 11 dive boots, or an inon strobe, or a few other expensive items that probably belong to me, and I probably lost. you should bring that stuff to me) :wink:

Gold & Jewels (can't keep it. it belongs to florida, or spain, or an insurance company somewhere, so if you find any, don't tell anyone but me.) :D

We usually bring our boat down once a year for a few weeks. I usually find five or six anchors or more, sometimes new with the price tags on them. I pick them up plus the fouling lines and leave them at the pullout on our last day for the local yahoos to loose again so I have something to find next year.

If the shells have an animal in them, leave them be, they belong to the ocean.

The two local dive boats usually do not venture far, they either seem to stop at the East Jetty which can be resched on foot or they run about a mile southeast to the "Bridge Rubble" which is not an entirely unfortunate dive unless you have been on it about a hundred times or maybe a thousand in which case it is ear splitting boring.

That is why we bring our little boat, I hit spots well out and away the dive boats don't go to, weather allowing.

N

I pick them up plus the fouling lines and leave them at the pullout on our last day for the local yahoos to loose again so I have something to find next year.

Hebron Hill, you just missed our local event. The "local yahoos" just finished planting anchors out in the gulf. We do that every year...it keeps the annoying tourists amused, and helps them to feel superior...this ensures they return next season to drop more money in our economy.:eyebrow:

Boy Nemrod sure does hate the bridge rubble site!:D I have made several trips with both outfitters in Destin and yet to grace this wonderful dive site.:D Usually wrecks, and occasionally a so called "reef".

Just got back from destin area,,,thought I overheard something about anchor planting,,LOL

I've been the Bridge Rubble before.... it's an ok dive, but sometimes you want to try something new.

the operators in the Panhandle (Destin, Panama City, etc) all seem to to go to the same sites over and over.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom