re: resorts in Roatan

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

scubastamp

Reaction score
We just got back from Cocoview resort on Roatan. It was our first time at the resort and was about as close as we could get to paradise. Over the water cabana, nineteen dives in six days, very good food, great hammocks for sleeping and reading. If you are going for the night life then Cocoview is not the place to go. When I return to Roatan I will be staying at Cocoview. From what I was able to gather from "small talk" at the resort, Fantasy Island has good accomodations and food but the dive op is better at Cocoview. AKR also recieved some rave reviews. Well, thats my two cents.

JD:)

I just got back from a 2 week trip (5/24-6/7) to Cocoview, with a grand total of42 dives, and everything went smoothly. We took the Sol non-stop from Dallas and were met as soon as we entered the airport by Nora, one of the staff at CCV. I was a little apprehensive at first to give her our passports and customs declarations but they have something worked out with the locals and you by-pass everything and go straight to the luggage claim. Once the luggage is rounded up they load you on their bus for the 15-20min ride to the resort. Your luggage will come on a seperate bus, and is delivered to your room in an hour or so. Leaving was almost as pain free. You set out your luggage the night before your departure and they take it to the airport ahead of you. Pick up your bags, pay your $25 departure tax, a seperate $2 security fee, and a quick stamp on your passport and you're on your way back to the States.

We flew directly from Houston on a Taca Charter. Very Easy, Very Efficient. Some arrived minutes later on a Taca Charter out of Dallas. I would recommend the direct flight to Roatan, it was just as inexpensive for us. We were met at the airport by Nora, she is waiting for all the Charters I believe, and she takes your passports and tickets and off to the resort you go. Quick and Easy. The resort is wonderful, I hope you have a great time

JD:D

My wife and I are planning on going to CVR next winter. It will be our first time in Roatan. I looked at some of the other places but liked the option of the great shore diving and the quiet at night. If you have any advice or suggestions it would be appreciated. We to will be flying out of Dallas. Did you book this on your own or use some one like Roatan Charters?:confused:

We used Roatan Charters. They are affiliated (actually related) to the owners of Coco View so they have the best info on how to get there. It is also in their best interest to make the transition from home to vacation as easy as possible. If you call them they can tell you when Taca sets up its Charter fares.

:) Wife and I just got back from CoCo View as well. Great trip, 5th visit, 21 dives. Food is better than before. No TD despite the reports in Undercurrent. Winds were up a little and quite a bit of night time surge in the cut so night diving was out a few of the nights, but obviously we got plenty of bottom time. Be sure to look at the direct TACA website if you have some flexibility in departure city. Got a much better airfare directly from TACA than Roatan Charters was able to offer. Very frustrating for Roatan Charters, the agent there told me it happens all the time.

Curious why all of you have mentioned CCV and only once mentioned AKR. Is CCV that much nicer? I always heard AKR was the place to stay. How do I get airline info on this TACA and what is it? We would fly out of Dallas. What are the depth of the dives like? How would all of you compare Roatan to Cozumel? Just got back from there and I thought the reef was dying. Not as much color as last trip. I think the cruise ships are taking their toll on the reef. Any info you can provide on Roatan would be greatly appreicated.

I just returned from my 4th trip to Roatan. I stayed at the inn of last resort every time and loved it. I have not stayed at the other resorts so I can't give you a comparison. PM me if you would like more information about roatan or the inn.

TACA is an airline. I flew roundtrip for $199. I think the tickets are $210 right now

I was there in 99, great diving. I got you beat 23 dives in a week. Don't bother with Fantasy Island, there emphasis is not diving, mostly ecotours and just laying back. I would go there any time and I highly reccomend it. Bill Evans and his wife are the best. TACA, (Take a chance airlines), lost my dive gear and they loaned me dive gear for 2 days free of charge, they are awesome ! Good Viz, George

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom