Transpac II

Winged BCD or Back inflated? **whats your pick**

• Winged BCD

Votes: 11 45.8%
  • Back inflated BCD

Votes: 13 54.2%

• Total voters

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

SCUBedoobedoo once bubbled...
Is the Transpak 2 a good deal for a winged BCD?

Yes its good but i think a BP/wing is better as it allows you to distribute your weight better than a trashpak 2. Check out a halcyon pioneer set up before you decide or contact fredt for a bp depending if you want to buy a complete set up or build your own. :)

lal7176 once bubbled...

Yes its good but i think a BP/wing is better as it allows you to distribute your weight better than a trashpak 2. Check out a halcyon pioneer set up before you decide or contact fredt for a bp depending if you want to buy a complete set up or build your own. :)

I have not said anything bad about BP's in a while because the folk that own them don't like to hear that stuff. The word "trashpack" is derogatory and not necessary to the cause of getting every last diver in the world into a BP and then getting the sea turtles to wear them.

To that I would like to add that on a Transpack 2 it is possible to thread ordinary weights onto the top tankband and achieve perfect weight distribution. This is nice if you travel because at the end of the week the weights can be removed and you don't have to drag them home in your suitcase.

Anyway, I love my Transpac II. It is perfect for warm water travel diving that I mostly do.

I dove the ScubaPro copy of the Transpac in the past. It didn't fit very well, was floppy and had a lot of stuff on it that I just don't need or want. I'm sure the Transpac II is fairly well made but, I think there are better options out there. I also recommend the BP/Wing setup and have found that Halcyon makes a great product.

Back inflated or Winged? What is the difference?

I owned a Trans-Pac II and it irritated the hell out of me when I was trying to tweak it. It limited me in some many different ways.

I have owned the following and reason for getting a new one...

1. Zeagle Ranger - Zero Options!
2. Trans-Pac/Rec Wing - Limited Options.
3. plastic backplate/SeaTec 45# wing combo - Didn't like the plastic and harness was a pain.
4. Homemade Al Backplate/SeaTec 45# combo - SeaTec Wing was too big for a single tank and the backplate was a little cheesy.
5. SS backplate/Halcyon Pioneer 27# combo - Very streamlined and nice. May move on b/c o' twin tanks. SS plate may get replaced w/ Al due to weight issues.

Each time I got something new, I really did feel I moved up in the world. I can now do just about anything I want w/ my setup but my next step is to color cordinate my gear! :) You know, Christmas colored webbing for the holidays, Green for St. Patricks, etc...

There's my $0.02.

IMO, the TP2 is a better option.

Halcyon is wildly overpriced. $505 for a 27# Pioneer and no discounts? Gimme a break. A TP2/Travel wing can be had for less than $400. It is much more comfortable than a BP, convenient to use and certainly a better option than a BP.

Is a Halcyon well made? Well, you can run the BP over with a F150 and it will survive, but the Pioneer wing is prone to punctures and cannot be reliably repaired because it is single layer.

The Scubapro BC that EZ had is a copy of the old Transpac. The TP2 is a serious improvement.

:eek:ut:

Now you did it. You have awoken the king of the warm water weenies:D

If you dive cold water its my OPINION that a bp is a much better option than a trashpak2(oops). For warm water diving both are a good option though i would prefer a aluminum bp. If you prefer to DIL then get the trashpak2(oops again):D

Cost shouldn't really be an issue (in the world of frictionless planes & pulleys) but if it is:

$278 For a Pioneer Wing.
$40 For Al Backplate (better for singles) Yes, you can buy them this cheap!
~$50 For webbing, D-rings, Buckle
$30 for Cam Straps

Total $398

Did I leave anything out? Maybe... The wing can be replaced w/ any bigger wing to be used w/ doubles. The backplate automatically works with doubles, a trans-pac doesn't.

I think the "MC" system is wildly overpriced too. The will try to sell you a tank strap for $40! I also think that for wings with double tanks, Halcyon is not necessarily the best. Just another player. For singles however, Halcyon is definately the way to go!

Prone to Punctures? I really couldn't say. I don't know anyone else w/ one of these and have never heard this before. Have you known people w/ this problem? I have heard that Halcyon stands by their product. (gotta love hear-say and rumor!)

I know the single layer issue doesn't sit as well with me, but it because it is so streamlined I think it should be fine. I try not to swim into sharp metal.

As far as topside, I don't mistreat my gear. And anyone that may "accidentall" puncture it would probably succeed with any bladder!

Comfort is a subjective thing. I prefer backplate over the "TP2" (is that really what you call it? TP?). That could be argued all day.

So on and so forth.

I don't think you could really have 2 layers of material on the Pioneer wing due to the way the it is designed.

Prone to punctures? The Pioneer wings are made of very heavy duty material that I don't see being easily punctured. I've had zero problems with mine.

I do think that the Halcyon Steel Backplate alone is WAY overpriced so, I agree with you to an extent.

Certainly a better option that a BP? :huh:

I own and dive a Transpac II, an aluminum BP and a SS BP. I have three different wings. I do a little cold water, a fair amount of drysuit diving, and spend as much time in the water when it's warm as I can get a "kitchen pass" for. From those harnesses and wings, I choose what's best for the dive I'm making, the suit I'm wearing and the tanks and other gear I'm carrying. And believe me, I don't make the choice out of any loyalty to one rig or another, or any particular "style" of diving. I choose based on what's going to make the whole dive easier, safer and more fun. Sometimes that's even a (gasp!) jacket BC.
On dives where I choose to use a harness & wing, the Transpac sees the most use.
Rick

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom