Besides head, what areas are sites of major heat loss

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

dlwalke

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
100 - 199
Specifically, I'm wondering about feet. In many outdoor activities, the feet are considered worthy of special thermal protection if you are trying to stay warm, but this is at least partly because they are in contact with the ground and lose heat through conduction. As I tend to get colder in water than the average diver, I am wearing a hood, recently purchased some thick gloves (w/thumb and index finger tips cut off), and am now wondering if it would make sense to get some thick booties (I'm currently using kayak booties that aren't idea on a couple of different fronts for Scuba so I definitely need to get some sort of booties) for the extra protection that they would afford.

Thanks,
Dave

Major heat loss areas are head, hands, feet, armpits and groin.

Normally use of a wetsuit, even a shorty takes care of the armpit and groin area.

Regular SCUBA booties would be a good idea.

A lot of divers wear light (1-3 mm)reef gloves under warm conditions and thicker neoprene (3-6mm) gloves under colder conditions. Some also use dry gloves.

A hood is practically mandatory in cooler water but a lot of divers wear the "beanie" neoprene caps in warmer water as well.

Being warm and comfortable on a dive can greatly reduce air consumption while being cold can pre-dispose a diver to the effects of nitrogen narcosis and decompression illness.

When in doubt, I would suggest dressing warmer. You can always flush the wetsuit if you get too hot, but it's almost impossible to warm up once you are chilled.

Also, keep in mind that even in tropical waters with temps in the mid 80's, that the water temp is still a good 10 degrees cooler than your body temp. Repetitive dives, especially at night can drop your core temperature considerably.

and a question for you. Why do you have the thumb and index finger cut off the gloves?

Excellent advice, CD.

and a question for you. Why do you have the thumb and index finger cut off the gloves?

Well, its just the tips (like maybe I nipped off 1/2 an inch). To answer your question though - I cut the tips of the thumb and index figure off to preserve my ability to do detail work like operate the buttons on my computer or camera, or flip snaps and shackles. I don't think that they small holes will much reduce the thermal protection of the gloves, plus they are kind of overkill anyway in terms of their thickness for the water temps I plan to use them in (although as I said previously, I tend to lose heat more rapidly than many divers, perhaps owing to my smallish body size and lack of significant body fat).

Dave

What type of wetsuit are your currently diving, and how well does it fit?
Having the "down the neck" flushing action can be a real chiller, as well as too loose or too tight of sleeves & legs.
Slap on a pair of thin latex (surgical) gloves under your wetsuit gloves, you'll be surprised at the difference it makes, especially with the finger tips whacked.
... lack of significant body fat ...
You may want to check out this page: http://www.angelfire.com/ca/divers3/food.html
Cheese cake recipes are on the bottom. :wink:

What type of wetsuit are your currently diving, and how well does it fit?

Currently I'm diving rentals. My plan was to get a 3mm custom fit Diver's Supply suit. I asked about this suit in a previous post several months ago because the price seems very good (and I wanted to find out if it was one of those you get what you pay for deals), but one poster said a friend has one and loves it. My hesitation with this suit has been that it has a front zip and they seem uncommon and I have heard that they flush more water. On the other hand, if this is custom fit then maybe that wouldn't be so much of an issue. Anyhow, I want to try a few more rentals in different temps to determine if I should get a 3 mm (and then wear my hooded vest and thick gloves and booties for all but the warmest water that I will be in, or if should get a 5 mm. I'm not so crazy about the standard 2 -piece models.

If I do get the custom fit Diver's Supply suit, I am still contemplating ankle zippers and whether or not there is any reason not to get a thigh utility pocket for an extra albeit modest charge. I think I would like the pocket and don't see any reason not to get it.

Dave

I have some nifty neoprene gloves I got at Wal Mart. They're 3mm, and instead of having the entire fingertip sliced off, they have a cut at the first joint of each finger.

This cut allows you to pull the fingertip off and have your fingertip protruding through the hole, but then you can put it back on to keep them warm.

$6.95, too. I've worn them with my wetsuit in 45 degree water and been fine :)

raviepoo once bubbled...
Don't make joke!!!

DON'T MAKE JOKE!!!!!!

DON'T MAKE JOKE!!!!!!!!!!

AAAAAAAAARRRRRRGGGHHHH!!!!!!

There. It passed. (whew!)

I wanna hear!

<but a little bit scared of what you may be "passing">

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom