Is the MCS Pack on the Halcyon BP/Wing setup functional?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Jackknife

Reaction score
It looks nice, maybe helps a tad bit from the wings nuts on the BP from tearing into your wetsuit or drysuit, or into your head when using the over head method of hoisting your tank onto your back(is this even possible with the wing nuts sticking out like that?).

I hear you can put a lift bag or one man emegency raft behind that MCS pack. I just recently ordered a BP, and was thinking about incorporating that into my setup, but $64 for a piece of Nylon covering with a logo on it, geez! Like I said, it looks nice.

I have a friend who has one and yes, you can stow a liftbag (actually two fit) inside of the MC pack. I even saw someone stuff one of the surface shuttles that Halcyon sells into one once, so it is possible.

Whether it's necessary is a matter of opinion. I've never had a problem with the wingnuts tearing into my suit, or hitting me in the back. They should sit below the contour of the plate making this a non-issue.

The MC pack does have it's use, but there are alternative ways to store lift bags and I don't forsee myself buying one anytime soon.

Too many other "must haves" first...

I own one and like it a lot. It certainly is pricey, but for me it works well holding a large SMB. I use it on my single tank setup only.

If your bolts are the right size, it should not interfere with your drysuit or wetsuit. I don't use the MC pack on my doubles and I don't have any issues with my drysuit. I keep the SMB in a bellow pocket when I dive dry.

I have used it with 100# OC bags and the Halcyon Big Dive Alert Marker and have never had problems.

I use the pack to carry a CC halcyon lift bag and it works great. The bag attaches to the D ring on the waist strap of the harness with a built in SS snap. Great place to keep it: low profile and easy to deploy with reel/finger spool for deco or just letting the boat know where you are.

Speaking of the MC pack, does anyone know where or what to look for if I need two more of the MC pack bolts?

I actually used two of them to bolt the wing to the BP. I kinda wish I had thought about that before I poured the channel weight (I would have poured it with the wingnuts in)... but the MC pack bolts were flat and fit under it.

So.... I need two more for the MC pack. I guess I don't need those specifically, but it'd be nice :)

The pack for the backplate does it's job well in that it provides a storage space for the lift bag. I found that it was easier to deploy the lift bag (not that much easier) from a drysuit pocket so I stopped using the pack at the expense of a fuller drysuit pocket. As well, the pack was another thing to wrinse and dry off that I did not mind bothering with once I stopped using it. It really doesn't do anything in terms padding/comfort of for drysuit divers. Lastly, it was a pain in the rear to breakdown/setup the kit as it covers the wingnuts for the STA or doubles. Either you had to work your fingers/wingnuts under the pack to bolt/unbolt a STA / doubles, or you had to bolt/unbolt the entire MC pack to get to the wingnuts.

In short, for me while it was a handy storage space for the lift bag, I preferred an alternate location, and if you don't use it for a storage space for the lift bag/, it is not worth the added maintenence.

Lastly, it was a pain in the rear to breakdown/setup the kit as it covers the wingnuts for the STA or doubles. Either you had to work your fingers/wingnuts under the pack to bolt/unbolt a STA / doubles, or you had to bolt/unbolt the entire MC pack to get to the wingnuts.
I leave one of the bottom bolts on the MC pack off so I can flip it up a little and access the bottom bolt when diving doubles. That way I don't have all the frustration you were talking about. I agree, with all the bolts in place, the bottom one is a PITA to get to..

jonnythan once bubbled...
Speaking of the MC pack, does anyone know where or what to look for if I need two more of the MC pack bolts?
...for all of them... and use the bolts for something else.

I've got a SMB that I plan on putting in there as soon as I get some cave line.....( :wink: --> Wendy)

It folds up and fits in there nicely, and I can attach a bolt snap to the cave line and to the butt D-ring and yank it out of there if I need it.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom