My dive report- Anilao

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

olyvtx

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
200 - 499
Here is my experience from my fourth trip to Anilao.

Arrived as planned on my birthday, March 8, at Eagle Point resort. Got a fantastic room just steps away from the dive shop. Found out that divemaster kuya Rene no longer works at the resort (first dissappointment). This is a nice resort in my opinion for the beautiful pools and rooms. But, pricey!

Settled in and waited for a night dive with another divermaster. As i prepared my equipment i discovered i failed to assemble a low-pressure inflator hose for my regulator back home (yes, i'm a dumba$$ sometimes!) No problem, the dive shop hooked me up with an inflator hose later. The divemaster was very late as i waited for more then an hour. When he finally showed up he indicated we would experience strong current, he was correct. As we decended i experienced unexpected ear troubles. Yes, my stay in Anilao would be plauged with sinus congestion!

The next day, after taking decongestants, i tested my ears while snorkling...seemed ok. I arranged a two-dive boat trip, Basura and Cathedral. Although i managed, both dives were not pleasant experiences due to my sinus problems. At Basura, my dive computer acted up...the display went blank and when i pressed the button it only displayed ALT. Strange problem as i have not had any trouble with it before and in the boat before entry it seemed fine. We found a couple ghost pipefish amongst the urchins there.

The next day I dove Secret Bay and Twin Rock. Very fortunate at Secret Bay as i saw 3 seahorses, a ghost pipefish, flambouyant cuttlefish and mimic octopus. But, not only did my ears and sinus give me troubles but my camera also decided to give me problems. So, very few photos and too many poor quality ones. By the time I finished my diving at Twinrock i pretty much decided that was it! Four nights at Anilao and only 5 dives.

I have spent the last few days in Bulacan with sweetie ko. Troubles still follow me as I believe i have fried my laptop's motherboard from a power surge when plugging it in. Luckily we were able to enjoy the movie King Kong with the neighborhood bata before this happened. But, the worse....I broke her neighbor's bamboo ladder the next day!! Who'd a thought an old bamboo ladder wouldn't hold up to a mataba white guy?? I will have to replace, but with a good aluminum one.

I travel to Sangat Island next week and I hope i dont experience any more troubles. I think i have resolved my camera issues...for now.

Attachments

• PICT0188-seahorse.jpg
    PICT0188-seahorse.jpg
    96.3 KB · Views: 40
  • PICT0209-seahorse&ghostpipefish.jpg
    PICT0209-seahorse&ghostpipefish.jpg
    139.3 KB · Views: 30
sorry to hear you're being plagued by problems... nice to see you're still positive about the whole trip... then again with a bulacan sweet in your arms it's hard to stay pissed...

:wink:

Jag

Hey, look on the bright side... You're in the Philippines!!!:D:D:D it could be worse! You could be stuck in Canada with still 3 feet of snow left to melt...:depressed::depressed::depressed:

Cheers! i'm sure the rest of your trip will be great!:coffee:

wow! a flamboyant cuttlefish. kewl!

what were you doing going up a bamboo ladder??? sneaking to see your sweetie? tsk, tsk, tsk...

good luck with the sinuses. i'm sure it'll clear up by the time you get to sangat

:D

Sorry to hear you has so many issues... even so.. you're still in paradise :wink: Hopefully, you've gotten it all out of the way and things will go smoothly the rest of your trip....

I second Iris...."wow! a flamboyant cuttlefish. kewl!" Hope I see one when I'm in Anilao the first weekend in May :)

Yes, you are all correct...this IS paradise!! I am having a great time still and I know Sangat will be just gorgeous, even if i dont get any scuba in! I can always snorkle and even at Anilao we saw a baracuda, 5 eels, shrimp, giant clam, couple of different nudibranchs and too many different fish to name all while snorkling at Eagle Point's "house reef".

Oh, and the ladder?? I was trying to get sweetie ko down from a tree that she was collecting berries from. Couldn't believe how quickly she climbed to the top and on such small branches. Oh well, she knew what she was doing. I, on the other hand, got quite a few laughs as i tumbled down the broken ladder! :)

you must have forgotten to sacrifice some live chickens to old man Murphy...

Back
Top Bottom