Does a BP/Wing setup have a face down problem on the surface?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Jackknife

Reaction score
Lots of BC's have this problem, unless you trim your weighting properly. But since a BP is heavier in the tank area (backside), does that help keep you more upright on the surface, or does it even make a difference?

A lot of BP/Wing setups tend to push you in a face forward position. This is one of the reasons why some people argue against them.

The solution is readily available however. When you come to the surface, either just partially inflate the wing to negate the forward push tendency, or lay back on top of it before inflating, and it will keep you up out of the water much like an air mattress.

I personally find that inflating and lying back on it makes surface kicks much easier than trying to swim on the surface face down.

YMMV.

Cave Diver once bubbled...
A lot of BP/Wing setups tend to push you in a face forward position.
I've never experienced this CD with either singles (72 or 104) using a 27# wing, 45# wing or doubles (72s or 104s) using a 40# wing, 55# wing or a 70# wing. All the above combinations were with a 6# SS backplate and drysuit.

If you want to set 12 inches above the water & have a cup of coffee while waiting for the ladder to clear, then get a full jacket.
If you just want to stay on the surface, then keep your mask on, use snorkle or reg and don't over-inflate.
Personally I like to stay just below the surface till its time to get all the way out.

after pool sessions of my basic course I got a back inflate design. to date I have owned 2 back infaltes and currently own bp/wings. I have never had a problem with being shoved foreward, of course I dont spend to much time vertical at the surface. I usually fully inflate then lay on my back. Its like your laying on a raft. If I need to fin somewhere I go backward and just look over my shoulder. I think it is the easiest method for doing surface swims and because your laying down its relaxing.

Uncle Pug once bubbled...

I've never experienced this CD with either singles (72 or 104) using a 27# wing, 45# wing or doubles (72s or 104s) using a 40# wing, 55# wing or a 70# wing. All the above combinations were with a 6# SS backplate and drysuit.

I'd never experienced this with my old back inflate BC either, until I dove warm water. When wearing heavy exposure protection, (wet or dry) it just wasn't an issue, however it was certainly there (although manageable) when wearing a 3mm shorty.

I've never dove a backplate in warm water, so I can't comment if it's any better or worse than another back inflate BC.

Just my experience

I never had this problem with my back inflate BC, in warm or cold water. Then again, the weight pockets were behind my back - they kinda sat on my kidneys during the dive. I suppose that counteracted any face-forward tendency.

I haven't gotten my new wings wet yet (waiting for the drysuit), but I have about 14 pounds between my back and the wing, so I don't anticipate any problems there either :wink:

As I stated, I have noticed the forward push tendency, but that might be due to the fact that I don't wear any weights.

It's also partly a learning curve. After switching from a jacket to a BP/W I still had the tendency to inflate the wings fully on the surface like I was used to doing with a jacket.

Now that I'm used to the wings I never have a problem with it. As someone else noted, it may have to do with the type of exposure protection also and some wings may be more prone to it than others.

I never had the face forward push with my Halcyon wings, but attributed that to the fact that I just had more experience in a bp/w setup by the time I got them.

YMMV.

I've never had this problem with a BP.

I have noticed it when using "tech" BCs.

Back
Top Bottom